@Buff - Just wanted to clarify, but did you want to say that you do agree that selflessness is something a hero should have? You wrote don't agree, and your last post kinda confused me.

I do agree that it isn't a prerequisite, just like righteousness is in no way a prerequisite to becoming a cop. Being a hero is a job in this story, and a lucrative one. However, innate heroism goes a long way into keeping the quality of work within the industry itself. Without it, "heroes" are just people prone to abusing their power, and given a license (money and fame too) to do so. That's why it got so many points from the secret judges in the exam. I actually am fine with that judging criteria.

My only issue was is why these hero candidates didn't realize something so simple. If you're not as dumbly heroic as Izuku, you better be smart enough to be useful as a hero. They were neither. I'm not even asking them to be selfless. Just don't let a fellow human being get squished by a giant robot. What do any of them lose by doing so? A few seconds? Some of them, glasses guy included, got so many points that saving one or two people wouldn't even matter to their future. Despite that, they were so focused on points they forgot the point of becoming a hero.