Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made in Abyss

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Yes, movie is canon. It bridges the end of s1 and the start of s2 (it is how they got from layer 3-4 to layer 6). Riko didn't used to have a white whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    Yes, movie is canon. It bridges the end of s1 and the start of s2 (it is how they got from layer 3-4 to layer 6). Riko didn't used to have a white whistle.
    But from what I read, only movie 3 is canon, right? movie 1 and 2 seem to be recaps. can someone confirm?

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Yes, there are recap movies. The one that is canon is called "Dawn of the Deep Soul". Its an entire arc.

I have a feeling I haven't watched the movie either. But then again, I don't remember the ending of the first season either, so I just started watching this S2 hoping I could somehow follow the story. I suppose I need to check out the movie, in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I have a feeling I haven't watched the movie either. But then again, I don't remember the ending of the first season either, so I just started watching this S2 hoping I could somehow follow the story. I suppose I need to check out the movie, in the meantime.
    I mean, I don't feel like I need a movie. Season 1 ended with them exploring the abyss, season 2 continues there :>

But I guess I will watch the movie anyway.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Can only go down, never up, feels like a blackhole somehow.
    Still a harsh world and unnecessary scenes.

So I guess we have a bridge from the past with the very first explorers that were strangers and our S1 crew.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Strange they didn't go into the ancient(?) expeditionary crew at all this episode. Their story is easily as interesting as the main one, and has more tension since we can be sure they are all long dead.

Nice that this village of cave raiders-turn-mutants is friendly enough, but maybe they simply aren't very able bodies anymore. When they mentioned the 'force field' was being blocked, did that mean the curse?

I still wish it was more concrete just how much ascension is required to trigger the curse. Shouldn't Riko have suffered an effect when Reg pulled her out of that trap/pitfall?

Nothing like a protracted anus to really set the mood during exploration... Unsettling artistic tendencies aside, this 'hollow' society is eerie and mysterious- just like I like my untouched civilizations. The missing barrier is a bit convenient; wonder if it can be harnessed elsewhere?

Glad they touched on the old explorers again before we forgot about them. I eagerly await their grizzly fate.

Strangers in a strange place. For an episode about navigating the unknown without their compatriots, this was quite engaging.

Reg has been Reg before, and his little friend wasn't able to fill in some details, though perhaps she might be able to restore his arm (that Rico is still carrying around).

Rico's post diarrhea exploration of the town made it less than inviting and of course has some exploitative looking scenes while she made a new friend.

Nannachi's dive into the 'local culture' was the most interesting, and pressing, as this place seems to somehow be able to conjure the heart's desire and by accepting it, you become one of its denizens and are subject to the rules of valuation. I doubt her journey really ends here, but the justification for her to escape it should be interesting. I was surprised when the villager was able to surmise details about Mitty that further implies this whole village might just be another predatory organ that can read thoughts.

Nannachi, you done goofed.

I hope that the 'elder' wasn't actually able to make an exact copy of Mitty, soul and all, based on some observations. Souls should be more special than that, or the characters, and the audience by extension, are putting around some serious nihilism that this story doesn't need to tip the scales of any further. No one has any intrinsic uniqueness or value, so what is all of this for?

I hope we got some more explanation of how the explorer party became... this soon. Everything is so alien that with nothing to relate to, I'm beginning to glaze over the world building and exploration until I get some answers about the origin, knowing they exist.

One can wonder how this village has survived so long if they lose what looks like half their members and a 'sage' every time they invite a hunting target into their village... Even if it was an anomaly, the timing is too coincidental for a threat that great given how long they have existed down here.

Looks like the (new) furry one will be the missing piece to get Nannachi free from the serpent. I was hoping for some more elaboration of the old explorers and their fate (at least two seem to still be living- red head and the Sanji-turned-hollow sage), but it looks like there is no indication of that happening any time soon. Will this entire season simply being separating from this village?

Am I correct in assuming that the babies were served to the remaining pilgrims to cure them? I don't understand at all how that would have worked, but this is one of the few shows that have sold me on the unexplored nature of the lands enough for to assume it makes sense somehow.

Really, though, the lengths this show is now going to to craft tragedy are officially humorous. This will become a problem when we begin to predict things based on "what would make this into the biggest tearjerker".

9-10

There's feelings everywhere, but I've almost completely lost the plot. Why does Faputa need to take revenge on the residents of the city? Was the little sacrificial girl that bitter to lose her children that she had the wherewithal as a blob to will one final baby with a mission to kill them all? Is that the takeaway? Reg's involvement seems tangential at best, though integral. I expected a much bigger part for him to play in the backstory, but he was just walking along and found her... And apparently Perushka was suffering in whistle form this whole time?

I enjoy the show, but I could really use some more concrete explanation of this entire arc; it's just a mess for me, narratively, and that blunts the emotional impact which is a shame.