Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Goblin Slayer

Well, finally got around to watching the series and liked it. Some time has passed since I read those LN volumes, so any potential discrepancy that there may have been I didn't pick up on.

The narrator in the novel uses Priestess, Dwarf Shaman, Cow Girl, etc. as if they were their proper names, kinda like Goblin Slayer is used. I don't recall if they use these terms during dialogues. Regardless, I thought it lost a bit of the charm that they didn't address the characters in this manner in some regard during the series.

The other observation is that every now and then we get a POV chapter from the goblins' perspective, usually from one particular goblin... so we also miss out a bit on how selfish they really are, even with each other and how nasty their thought process is. At times it brought some humor along with it. We saw a bit of it on the scene with the Goblin Lord, though honestly I was thrown off on how eloquent it was protrayed... but seeing how he could speak, something that others have seem incapable of doing, then it could be understandable.

Regardless, I enjoyed the series. It finished at an appropriate point. I'll get to the movie later.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I hope it'll have the same DnD vibes as the first season.
    The OVAs were horrible (not only in that regard).... the first season itself however was very enjoyable in my opinion.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I'd also welcome some more goblin slayin'. I felt like the movie's pacing actually was a detriment to the usually somewhat methodical confrontations in the show, and eagerly await them to return.

Side question I never asked during the original run: was a reason ever stated that GS actually acquiesced to his party members' (the elf specifically) restrictions on inhumane ways to kill goblins? I recall his just mentioning the restrictions in place (like no poison gas, ect...), as if he accepted them without pushback. I always thought it was weird if there was no further explanation given.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    I'd also welcome some more goblin slayin'. I felt like the movie's pacing actually was a detriment to the usually somewhat methodical confrontations in the show, and eagerly await them to return.

Side question I never asked during the original run: was a reason ever stated that GS actually acquiesced to his party members' (the elf specifically) restrictions on inhumane ways to kill goblins? I recall his just mentioning the restrictions in place (like no poison gas, ect...), as if he accepted them without pushback. I always thought it was weird if there was no further explanation given.
    I don't recall there ever being an explanation beyond him compromising a bit in favor of having the party members accompanying him. In the beginning (and really always as it is), his priority is to slay goblins, and really didn't care for much about party members and just doing solo quests. But as it went on, not only did he find comfort in having them around, but also in the value they brought in killing goblins.

So, TL;DR just a simple compromise to get the party members going with him, though never stated that was the case, and just some conditions they placed and he went along with it. He's really not that stubborn as it is.

S2 E01

---

This is out now.

Not a great first episode. They yadda-yadda'd all the goblin slaying!
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sat, 10-07-2023 at 04:43 AM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm going to see when the animation tanks, because that OP must have eaten up 3 episodes of of budget or something. It looked great.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I'm not really looking forward to watching a side-story about Priest and newbie mage...

btw, who was the girl who started up the charity thing? I don't recognise her.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    btw, who was the girl who started up the charity thing? I don't recognise her.
    Me neither. Some OVA or something?

What a lousy episode. I suspect I'd have been better off watching the SubsPlease troll release of a Shield Hero episode renamed Goblin Slayer S2 ep1 instead. There's no way it would have been worse than this. I don't know who thought an insufferably proud and ill-mannered newbie is the best way to launch a new season.

I thought the charity woman was the main side character of the Goblin's Crown movie. I don't really remember her looks, at all, so I just assumed so.

Ooooh, there's a movie. Sweet.

Watched as a pair, this was a better start off to season 2 than it first seemed. It re-established how adventurers still underestimate goblins and get the tables turned on them. The previous season characters getting little lines was jarring but still welcome and the team's coordination and... goblin slaying remain as great as ever. Unfortunately, the new studio got a pay cut as the animation is about as ugly as you can get away with in a non-AM timeslot. Everything looks less detailed than my rose tinted glasses remember.

Abrasive new kid being revealed as the poisoned mage from the first episode's kin pulls the character back from the brink of insufferable, so long as lessons were learned. Goblin Slayer even got a little humanity when he realized his efforts were a drop in the bucket, poor guy.

I seem to like Elf-girl this time round more than last season. I vaguely remembered her being a little bitchy, but here she's just chill and occasionally says shit with dwarf.

Her bickering with the dwarf, new or not, is a highlight for me as well.

---

The lack of names is really getting ridiculous.

"The other dude."

I mean, in my head it's just "Knight duo guy"

Witch is indeed hot. Didn't expect that from Dwarf.

I don't quite get the wizard kid. He's hung up on killing goblins, but doesn't respect the guy who kills goblins. Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I don't quite get the wizard kid. He's hung up on killing goblins, but doesn't respect the guy who kills goblins. Okay?
    His issues seem to have more layers than a flagship motherboard PCB. What made him enraged was his classmates calling his precious late sister a loser for getting killed by mere goblins, yet instead of changing his own view of goblins being harmless cannon fodder, he actually agrees with those classmates on thinking goblins aren't worth anything. So, he insists his sister wasn't a loser, she was just killed by underhanded means (poison), as if goblins shared the same values as he does, yet, in fact, he also thinks the sister shouldn't have been killed by something as weak as goblins. It's too much for an immature brat like him to go against the peer pressure and admit goblins are dangerous, even though they killed the sister he was looking up to.

This childish contradiction in the wizard kid's personality is why he can't respect Goblin Slayer, who takes goblins extremely seriously. As much as Goblin Slayer hates goblins, he also respects them as enemies. The wizard brat is incapable of that respect.

S2E5

--------------------------

Cowgirl in nice clothing takes the cake, even though I usually like Guild Girl's uniform. Sword Maiden's blindfolds having an extra piece doesn't make sense. It gives a "battered" look, but someone of her position wouldn't have to worry about such things and can easily get a new one. It seems really out of place.

S2E7

------------------

S2 has so far been a lot more boring compared to the first. The draw of this series was the portrayal of Goblins being sleeper monsters that were brutal rapists when underestimated, and Goblin Slayer's practical methods of killing them which were at times unconventional and spectacular.

Both aspects are almost absent in S2, and it's largely cowgirl fanservice carrying this now.

This is the first time I've heard an elf describe lying on a tree as being filthy. High-and-mighty is a common enough portrayal, but they've always been tree-huggers (aside from the outwardly evil ones)