Thread: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Alt Titles: Mahouka, The irregular at magic high school, Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei

Description:
    The series revolves around a world where magic has become technologically systematized. Magic users have become known as “magic technicians,” and attend magic high schools and universities in order to nurture their skills. Depending on their skill, technicians are divided into two groups: the low achievers and the high achievers. Buoyed by her practical skills, Shiba Miyuki (Hayami Saori) arrives as the freshman group’s top student, while her brother Shiba Tatsuya (Nakamura Yuuichi), who lacks the ability to use magic, is designated as a low achiever. This is the story of two siblings beginning the next stage of their lives.
    [courtesy of Zephyr at RandomC]

AniDB | ANN | MAL

Episodes: 26

Mahouka - 01: HorribleSubs

--------------------------------

Miyuki's oddly psychotic relationship with her brother was of course the highlight of this episode. Even before the kitchen scene, just the way she asked if he was dating the other two girls set off yandere flags left and right. Tatsuya is nice to her, but it was also good that he recognizes that her reactions to him are a bit...off.

It's also a bonus that Tatsuya's superiority has so far, less been defined by him being good at lots of things, but mostly being perceptive and analytical. It gives a concrete reason for why he comes off as a know it all to others.

I also like the idea that application of minimal magic, from either from not going all out or a lack of capability, can make up for it like if you strike in the right place or in the right time while an opponent it activating, as with Erika or the ninja monk (and either Tatsuya or the disciplinary committee girl).

One thing I couldn't quite figure out is why some of the girls have regular uniforms, and others have that lacy gauze with what is pretty easy to presume presume are their ability type added. Both reserve and elites had both varities. Boys uniforms have no such obvious distinction.

I don't know why the other elites keep harassing her, it's like they're douchebags trying to pick her up on the street (or beach, or chose your anime setting)...except it's boys and girls. I almost get why they'd be all irritated that she was hanging out with Weeds for lunch (they are elitist douchebags), but they get super offended that she's talking to her own brother, and getting pissed off that they'd go home together, which isn't an inconvenience for her or anything because they live in the same house.

Will definitely keep watching.

Disappointed shinta didn't make this thread first, making me work and all.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sun, 04-06-2014 at 05:45 AM.