Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Stone

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    S2-Episode 9:

LOL, Tsukasa is so full of shit. "What would you have done?" How about NOT kill people?!
    This anime really requires you to shut down your brain, which is quite ironic considering its "science" angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Right? Like if you're worried about resources, all you have to do is NOT wake people up.
    Eh, I don't really have a problem with Tsukasa's excuse. He was playing triage. He is woken up by Senku, thinks he's lost all hope of ever seeing his sister again, and goes into mental triage mode. Saving the human race by picking only the strong, deliberately breaking those older (and in his eyes, selfish and self-centered) people.

But he's as much of an idiot as Taiju, waking up equally self-centered young people like that asshole cop guy, and bloodthirsty others. He gets it right sometimes though, like with the hearing guy.

He's doing the best he can with what he can, like Senku's first year.
    Also: Really?! Using dynamite to blow up the ground and coincidentially not blowing up his sister?
    Yeah...that one's pretty dumb. The excuse that he can just have Yuziriha piece her back together is a bit of a cop-out excuse around it.
    Dynamite is explicitly used to shatter and crack stone slabs. They're claiming that there's bedrock on the top, but soft dirt underneath? That's not how geology works. The shockwave is almost guaranteed to crack his sister's statue.

Maybe if it was 'remnants of hospital roof and floors concrete on top' floods filled in all the rooms with sand...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Saving the human race by picking only the strong, deliberately breaking those older (and in his eyes, selfish and self-centered) people.
    Yeah, but, again, his argument is "a stone-aged world can't support too many people, so someone has to decide who gets saved." Which, okay, fine, but the stone people don't require any resources. You want to save the young and strong, fine, but you don't have to smash the others. You can just...leave them as statues.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Episode 11

---------------------

Well that was decently fun. Super glue does jack shit for wounds that aren't just skin cuts with no tension, but anyway.

Cryo is interesting, but he'd be physically dead in there.. so they're saying that you can revive dead people with petrification.

Kohaku remains ridiculously cute.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I mean, it has healed fatal injuries in the past. The idea just seems to be "If we keep him from rotting, the stone process will do the rest."

This series is does a really great job of ending on great "to be continued" moments! Season 1 was "The Stone Wars are coming!" and this time it's "The Age of Discovery begins!"

Honestly, after some of the shit he's made already, a boat seems quaint.

I thought at first he might make a boat big enough to take the entire colony, but they can't move Tsukasa, and they aren't leaving him untended. So I'm curious which characters are going to be left behind for the foreseeable future.

I don't know, I felt this series was kind of boring compared to the first, and I'm honestly not sure I will watch any subsequent seasons. Unless there's nothing else to watch in the middle of the week.

It wasn't as bad as Code Geass R2's first half where they redid the entire first season with nation-palette swaps, but a lot of this season felt like a retread. There wasn't that same level of excitement where they are rediscovering new technologies piece by piece, struggling for each vital ingredient.

It felt more like the mini-arc with the mine where, "oh gee, we found nearly every difficult-to-find mineral we could possibly need."

Compare the creation of the vacuum tubes last season to basically any invention this season. There wasn't that struggle and iteration, the learning process in the craftsmanship. Senku knew what part they needed and poof, they had it and they completed it.

I think the only episode that really compares is the Chrome in Prison one, but even then, he's literally handed the secret ingredient.

There's certainly some element of 'Technology Simply Accelerates,' and it builds on itself that makes sense. Senku was solo for an entire year still in the stone age while he was figuring out the revival fluid's first steps to safely bring back Taiju.

There were characters I liked. Characters who were smarter or better at something than the leads. Nikki is a great example, and one of the better additions to the cast. She couldn't be tricked by their technological and psychological bullshit because she was a super fan. And she wasn't angry about them trying to trick her.

But this season didn't really have that spark that the first season had, where I was really fired up to watch the next episode each week.

There's certainly some element of 'Technology Simply Accelerates,' and it builds on itself that makes sense. Senku was solo for an entire year still in the stone age while he was figuring out the revival fluid's first steps to safely bring back Taiju.
    Well, this was basically gonna be my argument with your complaint, but you already said it.

Taiju cosplay on point.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I don't know, I felt this series was kind of boring compared to the first, and I'm honestly not sure I will watch any subsequent seasons. Unless there's nothing else to watch in the middle of the week.

But this season didn't really have that spark that the first season had, where I was really fired up to watch the next episode each week.
    As a manga prophet, allow me to say that the next arc(s) have much less focus on gathering materials and more on the application of scientific principles/equipment, psychology, and tactics. The story will begin to move toward real intrigue going forward, and I believe the hype will return with it. This season was the second half of an arc they couldn't fit into the first season, I would argue, and its pacing suffered for it. After a clean break, the next season should be much better.

---

I didn't know this was coming back this season.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Long and fun first ep

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I thought this was simply a one off movie to introduce/revive that character. I heard the next season isn't until next year.

Oh...

----

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Humm, too bad, it was such a good reintro to that world....

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Just watched the OVA. Great arc and introduction to Ryuusui. The use of money, and establishment of its value, to motivate people and slackers to work extra hard is a fun idea not explored in anime often. One strength of Dr. Stone is that it handles its large cast well and doesn't try to force less important characters to get equal screen time, but most everyone gets some input, which admittedly is easier in a three episode mash up, but that is my impression still. Another strength is the creativity of life threatening 'obstacles' that must be overcome by the crew even in the absence of a philosophical villain or antagonist. Look forward to s3.

S3 - 01

---

Weird to think they unlocked cars and cell phones before...basic agriculture.

The Minecraft imagery was fun.

S3 - 01

---

Weird to think they unlocked cars and cell phones before...basic agriculture.

The Minecraft imagery was fun.
    Yeah they went all into upgrades before increasing supply. It makes sense though. The village sorted itself out until now.

With wheat they'll be able to have real ramen instead of that other grain they had.

S3E2

------------

The butler was way more entertaining than I expected. When they brought up a "chef" last time I just expected someone who could make food. I didn't expect them to bring in someone who could essentially admin/secretary their worldbuilding efforts.

And cook.

S3E3

------------------

I thought it was going to be SOS like usual, but the dashes weren't correct. WHY on repeat was pretty damn ominous. At the same time, this would either be an AI, or a descendant from someone from the past. It would seem strange to routinely petrify/unpetrify yourself to just check on a world you blasted.

---

If the island has a petrification beam, then reviving Tsukasa can happen much sooner.

---

If the island has a petrification beam, then reviving Tsukasa can happen much sooner.
    I'd never actually thought about how animal life has been essentially unchanged despite global petrification. You'd think there'd be some change to them.

Soyuz's story is weird. You can explain it away with him having memories as a child, but if he left the island with his birth mother, then got dumped on a beach to be found by someone from the Ishigami village then he shouldn't have access to his birth name realistically.