Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Stone

Dr. Stone

One fateful day, all of humanity was petrified by a blinding flash of light. After several millennia, high schooler Taiju awakens and finds himself lost in a world of statues. However, he’s not alone! His science-loving friend Senku’s been up and running for a few months and he's got a grand plan in mind—to kickstart civilization with the power of science!
    ------

Episode 1
    -----

I thought this would be one of the more popular anime this season. Don't want to hog all these threads, so guys, go create some! ;o

I'v read 30 chapters or so of the manga, so I'll keep quiet for now. First episode was entertaining. The hero is just as ridiculous as I remember, lol.

One thing that bothers me again: They fucking were conscious for all of the 3700 years?! Any mind would go crazy! Oh well.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    It's damn clear that being stuck 3700 years without any stimulation would make anyone crazy.
    At first I thought only humans suffered the Stone effect, because of the dog scene. Then there's the swallow scenes. It matters because the idiot catches a boar at some point, they need food after all and even if plants were not peteified, we humans need flesh.
    Feels a bit gay too with the adam/eve scene being embarrassing
    Main girl feels a bit strange/ugly.

It seems that light passed through walls or the likes. I wonder if it worked deep underground, it might be it was there for a long time. Just saying, it might be some humans were not affected for many reasons.

Last but not least, 3700 years would level 99% or more buildings of the last 200 years I think. It feels like most buildings were in too good of a shape.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

It would be one of the more popular series, but the first episode was boring, so didn't care for it for now. Will have to wait for more episodes to come out to see what the hype is all about.

The premise is very interesting, but yeah, I also have a huge problem with them being conscious during their petrification. There's no real reason to have done that either. It just make it stupider.

Was also weird how the episode makes it seem like the tough guy is the main character, but the OP makes it clear that the science guy who seems like he might become an insane villain is the main character.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    The premise is very interesting, but yeah, I also have a huge problem with them being conscious during their petrification. There's no real reason to have done that either. It just make it stupider.
    But then how can you show how badass he is because of counting all those years!!1

As a genius scientist, he probably could remember some astronomical ways to get current date...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    As a genius scientist, he probably could remember some astronomical ways to get current date...
    Thate what I expected, yes. We didn't need the exact date, so if he just said 'these stars are slightly different, about 3500-4000 years have passed. Let's say 3700."

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Pure edutainment shounen. I'll vouch for it though as a manga prophet. The story is more interesting than just info dumps and they incorporate 'science' well into what they are trying to accomplish.

There are actually a lot of edutainment series this season.

This (primitive technology), the girls stranded on an island "Sounan desu ka" (more survival skills), and "Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru" (proper exercise techniques).

All of them are well cast, entertaining, and funny.

Personally, I found the "stuck conscious for 3700 years" thing quite endearing. Taiju's love is all consuming, and Senkuu's faith in him was not misplaced. Right before the petrification, he bet the others that Taiju would confess, and he did, even after 3700 years of thinking of nothing else. So Senkuu left him a note right where he was sure that Taiju would find it.

That's friendship and trust right there.

Even though he could have left the note in the cave he obviously put him in.

Taiju wasn't going to hang around in the cave. He was going right for the camphor tree.

He was also clearly moved. He didn't wash up perfectly centered in the cave, being dripped on by the magical mixture...AND gently put down on a bed of hay to keep him from being damaged.

Regarding NanKilo, just be careful with some explanations. For example squats and knee position, I think I read some research with different views...
    Back to stone:
    Surprise Dr Stone would place the idiot under that dripping liquid since he discovered the effects long after that.
    Is it possible someone else did place him there ? And that someone knew about that liquid properties, maybe by realising they were the first to get out thanks to it ? And they may have done the same with Dr Stone at the begining of spring ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Taiju wasn't going to hang around in the cave. He was going right for the camphor tree.

He was also clearly moved. He didn't wash up perfectly centered in the cave, being dripped on by the magical mixture...AND gently put down on a bed of hay to keep him from being damaged.
    That's what I'm saying. Senkuu woke up first, found Taiju, and set him up in the cave.

Since he knew Taiju would wake up there, he could have just left the message there. And I mean, like, a big, obvious message that he wouldn't miss.

---

Well, this guy's certainly gonna be a problem.

That guy is the reason why I can't enjoy this story as much as I would be able ti without him.

Forget about them being middle schoolers: NO human being could fight and win against a lion barefisted. Let alone against an entire pack.

For a story that puts so much emphasis on science, I don't get why the mangaka thought this would be a good idea

He could have at least, like, kept some of the stone on his body to fight with. Could have protected him from a few hits, and stone covered fits could have more believably killed a lion.

Right, because a TV celebrity "strongest primate" high schooler beating a lion is the immersion breaking part of a series where people and birds worldwide are turned to solid stone which transforms instantly into a thin shell they can be broken free of when a small quantity of bat urine and alcohol is dribbled on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Right, because a TV celebrity "strongest primate" high schooler beating a lion is the immersion breaking part of a series where people and birds worldwide are turned to solid stone which transforms instantly into a thin shell they can be broken free of when a small quantity of bat urine and alcohol is dribbled on them.
    One is the premise of the show, the other is a random decision.

Generally, eff off with the 'one element is fantasy? Then EVERYTHING can be fantasy!!1' argument.

He was already introduced in the first episode as someone super strong. They BOTH had their reservations about reviving him. The immediate situation forced their hand. He is blatantly set up as the antagonist. Using a lion shows that neither of the other two protagonists will ever be able to defeat him head on, even with their better endurance or superior intellect or technological advances. They're allied only out of necessity.

It's why Senku is building a crossbow.

Yeah...very random decision.

A guy killed a lion barefisted and intimidated the other lions to the point they ran off.

Yes, it's fucking random as random could ever be. I enjoy the story, hence having read 30 chapters of the manga, but this guy is one of the low points of this series. :/