Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    Never finished the first series, but I read most of the manga (years ago) and the story takes... an unexpected turn.

I've heard that events in the anime are starkly different from the Manga at the end of the first season, so I'd be curious to see how it gets adapted from here.
    That... makes me want to rewatch the anime.
    I don't remember it being different, but I hardly remember the exact details.

Pretty sure it ended with the assassination of the king and the same amount of people are dead.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 06-09-2022 at 11:40 PM.

Season 2 Episode 1:

For one: Again, a recap would have been nice. I have no idea who that guy is and why Thorfinn ended up as a slave.

For two: Darwin Award, anyone? That first 10 minutes was so dumb that, had it been a new anime, I would have dropped it. Mother says "run, once you're in the forest, keep running!". What does the daughter do? Stops running. Runs back. And then she AND her brother lose all their IQ and fucking KEEP sitting next to the dying mother, even after they became aware that deadly villains are approaching. That was so utterly infuriating. A momentary reluctance to leave your mother, yes, I get it. But both sitting there until the villains stood right behind them, wow. That's literally giving up on life.

Really ruined this origin story, because of how dumb it started. :/

Episode 2 will be the real start, I guess. Although I don't get why Thorfinn would stay a slave. Unlike this dude, he's a seasoned fighter. Give him any blade and he's a killing machine.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Yeah, TF wasn't a slave at the end of S1, right?

Guess they'll have to flash back to it later.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Yeah, TF wasn't a slave at the end of S1, right?
    Kinda, but not really.

-Dad got recruited for a war. Dad said no.
    -People attacked.
    -Dad was a boss but Thorfinn snuck on board and Dad had to trade his life for Thorfinn's.
    -Thorfinn joined the "pirates" as their bitch for opportunities to kill Askeladd.
    -Old trader friend has been looking for Thorfinn since.
    -Askeladd is secretly a Welsh royal/spy or something and ultimately seemed to think that Canute would make a good Danish king while his dad was shit.
    -Askeladd killed the Danish king.

-so I guess Thorfinn was then rounded up and sold as a criminal slave?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I thought the understanding was that, after the prince killed Askeladd, that Thorkell and Thorfinn were basically supposed to become his entourage.

Season 2 Episode 2:

Good episode. Interesting to watch. There's only two things I gotta criticize:

- that tiny piece of bread and cheese. It's physically impossible that 2 grown men survive on that for their daily meal. I'm gonna pretend that they get more somewhere
    - the pacing is slow. This will be an anime that's great for bingewatching, but the weekly wait will be terrible

Still, I'm invested in the characters again. I guess I'm a bit wary of how this episode was SUPER happy, food bringers aside, compared to the first episode. Either the master isn't as friendly as it looks right now or the farm is about to be attacked and this time Einar will finally fight back with Thorfinn's help.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    - that tiny piece of bread and cheese. It's physically impossible that 2 grown men survive on that for their daily meal. I'm gonna pretend that they get more somewhere
    I assume there's more than 1 meal.

Finally some action based on next week's preview. I'm yawning during this farming simulator. Meanwile Einar's integrity goes out the window because he didn't want to complain in front of a woman. lol.

Season 2 Episode 3:

Ugh, taking the entire episode to get to that point. Pacing feels glacial rn.

Ooh so Thorfinn has amnesia?

Well... fuck. This is going to take a while to get over then. It's not like he chose farming or something. He got into this because he didn't know/remember any better.

Fox kinda fucked up. Yes he made the comment of accusing the slaves of plotting to run away. But he did note that they're the Owner's property. They're not his to freely cut up. How does he even intend to explain this to the boss if Thorfinn dies from sepsis?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Ooh so Thorfinn has amnesia?
    I was wondering. Although it's not really clear. All his said was he had a dream of something he shouldn't forget.

Oh, I thought the dream referred to Thorfin having a premonition about getting killed by Kitsune.

I thought Thorfinn dreamed of his past horrors, none of which he actually remembers when he's lucid, thus explaining why he's an obedient little farm boy these days.

And hence next week's title "Awakening" with a montage of Snake fighting/training him.

It doesn't make much sense for people to wake up and go "Oh, I just had a dream. I shouldn't forget that dream". Established prophets do that, but only when they've experienced proof that their dreams mean something.

Episode 04

--------------------------

Hmm...

So last week (subtitles aside - just listenning to the audio) he said something like "There's something I mustn't forget. That's the type of dream I had I feel", which is effectively their translation.

The episode title for Ep04 was Awakenning.

After the fight, Thorfinn told us about his past and seems like he remembers everything. His demeanor doesn't change though, which would suggest that he hasn't acquired any new information or memories.. so now I think he doesn't have amnesia.

Man, they really should have made a movie instead of a series. Pacing has slowed down from glacial. It's all very good content-wise, but wow, an entire episode spent on getting treatment and sleeping.

---

One of the things I like about this show is I honestly have no idea where it's heading.

Like, is Canute being set up to be Thorfinn's Griffith? Or his king? I don't know. S1 talked about Vinland like it was the One Piece. And in S2, it hasn't even been mentioned.

Tbh was this episode needed? An entire episode spent to show how Canute became king. Yet they casually fast forwarded 1 year and then another 7 months. Could have just summarized everything in the first 3 minutes.

Usually I'd agree with DearthEnderX' stance, not knowing where a story goes is a good thing. But here I'm wondering what they'll try to make us care about when they so easily skip a year of preparations for poisoning Ethelred, then skip a, as described, tough war against the new king. Like, that "tough war" is what we got to see in s1. Why should I care about any upcoming war when it could be just easily fast forwarded?

The little I believe to predict: The big guy, forgot his name already, will become Canute's enemy and probably team up with Thorfinn and Einar at some point. I just don't know what their reason for war will be, because Canute seems to be a peace-loving king in the greater scheme.

This episode was better than the previous 3.

---

I'm thoroughly with mfauli now. Shit needs to start happening.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post

---

I'm thoroughly with mfauli now. Shit needs to start happening.
    I just want Thorfinn to go supersaiyan. Kill the son, kill the guards, kill everyone who's a shitty person. Then meet Torkell and go on a 3-men war against pretty King.