Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Honzuki no Gekokujou

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Benno now understands how far ahead Main is, and paper/shampoo/hair ornaments are minuscule scrapes compared to the vast potential she still has.
    But he also is very cautious not to break her and will probably search and find ways to solve or at least tame the devouring.
    I wonder if he knows about how Main should has to remain motivated and avoid ill feelings, because somehow I think he tried to train her to some realities that align with that.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I actually hope she'll find a cure. Or just details about the devouring, considering she's from another world. Frieda's existence implies that not everyone suffering from the devouring is from another world, so maybe Main gets special privilege once she tells the right person.

Since there's a religious guy appearing in the official spoilers, he probably is part of the solution.
    My guess is there's some kind of spiritual training to control your spiritual and body energies.
    Mages probably are a thing in that world. Magic is used in contracts, so my guess her powers will find ways out of her body and solve the devouring as it's depicted: too much energy inside a box that's too small.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Benno now understands how far ahead Main is, and paper/shampoo/hair ornaments are minuscule scrapes compared to the vast potential she still has.
    But he also is very cautious not to break her and will probably search and find ways to solve or at least tame the devouring.
    I wonder if he knows about how Main should has to remain motivated and avoid ill feelings, because somehow I think he tried to train her to some realities that align with that.
    Benno is quite an interesting character. He basically gives nothing for free, but he gives Main (and Lutz on the side) excellent opportunities to earn coin and learn a lot in the process. I'm not sure if he actually had any means to save Main, per se, although I imagine he would have the means to help her somewhat immediately, for the time being. But he doesn't want to, as long as he figures Main can do it on her own, with a few pointers. Seeing how he suspects he could get a whole lot of crazy ideas out of Main, it's intriguing he is doing this, instead of trying to bind her to his business more directly.

Episode 11:

Uh, made me cry several times

I'm still hoping that Main can figure out a way to cure the devouring. That would probably bring her enough fame to make all the books she wants.

... ah, so sad ...

Back when reading the manga, I was wondering what's the background of the whole magic thing in that world. It's known the nobles are monopolising magic and all the benefits it grants, assuming creating the magic items also requires magic. We don't know if it's possible to actually use magic directly, like hurl fireballs, which would naturally explain how the nobles became nobles in the first place if it's possible. All in all this also explains why the nobles are more than happy to let any commoners with mana (causing devouring) to simply die as children.

However, this doesn't actually explain the very beginning. Like if the first humans with mana couldn't naturally spend it and thus were doomed to have it accumulate until it killed them, how did those humans survive in the first place and pass on their genes? This suggests there must be a natural way to get rid of the excess mana. Yet even rich merchants' children are doomed to die without the magic tools of astronomical price only sold by nobles. So, how does it all work? One possibility is that the people who originally did have the magic capability came from elsewhere. Their original environment had a readily available natural resource that conducted the mana out of them. Now the magic tools are made of the material. However, the information about that is closely guarded by the nobles in this city/country, and they would only import enough of the stuff to satisfy their own needs (to create the magic tools of any kind sold to buyers with lots of coin). Maybe there are also magic weapons the nobles only possess, to keep themselves in power.

We actually saw a scene earlier with the weird tree that was, perhaps, activated by Main's mana. Maybe that's only one example of the useful materials. Still, this is all nothing but my own speculation as I haven't read the novel, and the anime is catching up to the manga fast.

I started reading your posting, but then stopped. Kraco, did you read the manga past the current anime episode or not? I don't want to be spoiled by passive spoilers (a la 'no, thing hasn't been explained yet') :/

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    I started reading your posting, but then stopped. Kraco, did you read the manga past the current anime episode or not? I don't want to be spoiled by passive spoilers (a la 'no, thing hasn't been explained yet') :/
    Yes, the manga is, kind of, still a tiny bit ahead of the anime. I say kind of because this anime's very beginning was actually further ahead than the manga, as strange as it sounds like. I don't personally feel like I spoiled anything, but I respect your point of view since technically you are correct about your passive-negative technique. I started the post like that because I was talking about my thoughts back when the manga was at this point of the story.

That being said, with this anime's beginning as it was, I actually couldn't give you any real spoilers even if I tried to.

I also think trombe might be part of a solution for Main. And it would be two birds with one stone, since trombe fibers are at the core of her paper manufacturing. And even a third bird as she'd be the only one able to really control trombe, so she could really secure her market.

I also think trombe might be part of a solution for Main. And it would be two birds with one stone, since trombe fibers are at the core of her paper manufacturing. And even a third bird as she'd be the only one able to really control trombe, so she could really secure her market.
    It looked pretty dangerous, though. She might get seriously injured experimenting with the trombe.

Episode 12:

Aww, it was so cute when Main did the silly prayer posture to express her excitement at the end

Bummer that the devouring was kinda forgotten though, except for the rushed beginning part.

I was waiting for the devouring to show or for the medallion part to create a ruckus or reaction from the priest.
    But her personality got her directly to a higher target.

I'm still a little uneasy with the too good to be true medieval setting.
    Benno, my man, beware of illicit behavior with a loli...

I'd assume the remaining two eps will be spent to catch up with the very beginning of the first episode. Don't ask me since this has almost caught up with the manga. Apparently the second season will launch in April.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Bummer that the devouring was kinda forgotten though, except for the rushed beginning part.
    What do you mean? The whole conversation with Frida was directly about it and how she would rather die free, spending the rest of her days with her family, than live as a slave, never seeing her family again. Her general weakness was present in the whole episode.

I'm still a little uneasy with the too good to be true medieval setting.
    This is more believable than most fantasy, which are more or less easy living, apart from needing to fight demons and whatnot. I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are referring to. Or are you saying this looks too realistic, which you won't believe to last?

I hoped to see more about the devouring itself, not just some farewell talk. That's what I mean. See David's posting, something happening during the baptism. If anyone knows more about the devouring, it's gotta be priests. Although we saw the blue haired guy from the opening for the first time ...

Too good to be true: where's human evil side in that show ?
    It might be I have a pavlovian reaction.

Too good to be true: where's human evil side in that show ?
    It might be I have a pavlovian reaction.
    How would it show? The people we are seeing are mostly quite poor. However, you can see the harshness of life, the inequality, and all that stuff all over the place. There's plenty of structural evil in that world. Fortunately we aren't seeing the usual rogues, bullies, thieves, and such from the regular fantasy series occupying every street corner. With the medieval laws as they were, those guys would be executed in no time.

I never thought this world was particularly 'good'. People work all day, have no entertainment outside of probably the most basic shit, and you can't even travel without losing everything.

It's pretty realistic actually in that way. As long as you submit to society's demands, you're fine. Have a head of your own? Problems

Pavlovian as in used to those anime trends.And of course I noticed life is not easy and pretty much as you described.
    It's just a bit surprising Main did not meet people with evil intentions pertaining to her many knowledges, thus high value.

Pavlovian as in used to those anime trends.And of course I noticed life is not easy and pretty much as you described.
    It's just a bit surprising Main did not meet people with evil intentions pertaining to her many knowledges, thus high value.
    Not so many know about it. Benno is a businessman. He has been looking for ways to benefit from Main's otherwordly knowledge all along. However, he also happens to know Main can drop dead at any moment, so any pressure is to be limited. He's not particularly rich, has worked hard for his own business, and thus is not rotten by default. He has been quite strict with Main, but I'd say it was partially due to Lutz being a part of the deal, and Benno definitely can't be gentle at all with Lutz to make a decent merchant out of the kid. On the other hand Main desperately needed some reality checks.

Frida is the other outsider who has been directly dealing with Main more. She considers Main her friend, though, and is still a kid herself, so obviously she wouldn't be the first to try to exploit Main. There are a few other people who know something, but they only know scattered details, so it's more likely they wouldn't imagine Main must be a mountain of priceless secrets.

All in all I don't consider it, at this point, yet so strange there haven't been around too many unscrupulous people interested in her.

Episode 14:

Fantastic finale!

You know, I hate the whole 'sudden awakening' thing in most anime/games/movies these days, especially iseksi-anime tend to be really cheap about it. But Honzuki pulled it off nicely.

It actually felt chillimg, because I absolutely didn't expect Main to go full-on possessed witch-girl Was a cool moment.

And I liked the nasty head priest. That was the first time we got a glimpse of tthe reality of this world's society beyond the 'work hard and be happy' so far. I actually was really scared for the parents the dad is such a likeable dude, but he totally would've gotten him and his wife killed if it wasn't for Main's crushing. Phew. I really want to hug these two parents and tell them 'you're awesome' ❤

Anyway, this is a nice ending point for season 1. Season 2 is now my most wanted together with Beastars S2. I feel fortunate that I got 2 such great shows this season :]