Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Honzuki no Gekokujou

So we come full circle to the beginning of the season, which made us think the Priest was experiencing all of this through her mind. But it looks like the "procedure" was less intrusive.

Looking forward to a continuation.

https://twitter.com/anime_booklove/s...71086294388741

3rd anime season confirmed!
    Best news

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Awesome, thanks.

Jolly news indeed!

Has this aired already? Seeing episodes 1 and 2 on certain sites, but according to LiveChart, it's still over a week until it starts.

Edit: Ah, they're recaps.

episode 27:

Aaand it's back, too! Lovely episode. Main about to built a book press machine, nice Guttenberg would be proud of her.

I have to admit, I didn't quite understand (or remember) what this whole thing was about ink and different ink. Also why did Main sign a contract where she promises not to use ink anymore? Won't her book press use a type of ink, anyway?

Random detail that somehow catched my eyes: The nice smoke effect coming from the houses in town.

So pleasa-OH NO! Kidnappers!

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    I have to admit, I didn't quite understand (or remember) what this whole thing was about ink and different ink. Also why did Main sign a contract where she promises not to use ink anymore? Won't her book press use a type of ink, anyway?
    Although I don't exactly remember her negotiations with the ink guild, but in any case, their ink wasn't good for her, so she came up with a new one. However, in that medieval society every craft belongs to a particular guild. Maybe it's not by law (exclusive rights granted by the crown) in that country, but it's at least by heavy tradition. So, if she keeps making her own ink, it would automatically mean the ink guild is her enemy. The ink is, after all, the ink guild's livelihood. Back in the day, before the free market, guilds held monopolies in their particular fields. It ensured the prices stayed high as it limited the number of craftsmen and thus competition. So, all craftsmen earned enough from their work. It sucks for consumers, but consuming is quite a new concept anyway. Historically, common people earned barely enough to survive.

Theoretically if Main sold the production method to the ink guild and then bought her ink from them (let's hope the contract said something about the price), the guild should have nothing to worry about anymore. However, since they still kept doing something suggesting stalking and possibly kidnapping, I reckon the guild master is a real scumbag who's interested in more than just running his guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    However, since they still kept doing something suggesting stalking and possibly kidnapping, I reckon the guild master is a real scumbag who's interested in more than just running his guild.
    I mean, they showed as much. Someone is paying him to go after her.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    I mean, they showed as much. Someone is paying him to go after her.
    It seems potentially quite risky to go after a blue robe priestess. A blue robe indicates nobility, who can use magic. Furthermore, the temple can't possibly ignore such actions and still maintain face. If the temple bans a person, and their family, it could be quite a social and even professional suicide. If the temple in this series' world is even half of what the church was in medieval Europe, that is.

The person paying also appeared to be wearing priest robes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    The person paying also appeared to be wearing priest robes.
    Oh. I thought he was just a random noble. Then it certainly would be more complicated. However, the ink guild master should be all the more careful in that case. Dead men tell no tales, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Oh. I thought he was just a random noble.
    I mean, it might have been, but it looked like blue robes, so I assumed priest.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I was surprised how fast I got back in the 'swing of things' this episode. Looks like the first books finally happened after all, so now there's progress to parallel the increasingly shady back door dealings surrounding Mein. This series is (if I remember correctly) particularly good at juggling multiple things simmering at the same time, so I'm excited.

episode 28:

The ending left me confused: Is Main being adopted by Lord Karstedt now or is she not? The last exchange made it sound like she'll be able to see her family until she's 10 years old, then she'll enroll a royal academy, supposedly as Karstedt's daughter? Not quite sure why Main suddenly agreed to this. Or will she stay with her parents? I would have expected a firm "I already have a father!" at some point here, but it never came.

I'm hopeful we'll get a little time skip soon, though. Although I forgot her current age. 8?

Also, I hope after all this "you cannot control your powers", I hope Main actually starts to learn how to use her powers, lol.

She gives up way to easily when someone tells her something's improper. She should be more demanding than she is.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Also, I hope after all this "you cannot control your powers", I hope Main actually starts to learn how to use her powers, lol.
    I assume that's what the academy is for.

Main is quite an airhead, in the end. All she cares about are her family/friends and books. Her background is a peaceful literature girl from Japan, so conflict isn't really in her nature, either. She has almost died multiple times already due to the sickness in this isekai, so it makes sense she won't instinctively look far into the future but rather try to gain as much as she can in the short term. I'd say this explains why she can accept conditions that allow her to keep going for now, even if a change is dictated to happen mere couple of years later. Before entering the temple, she had to more or less accept she wouldn't even be alive after two years.

In the end Main is a highly dangerous entity for much of that society. Not only because she's a commoner with a huge amount of mana, but also because she's changing things. Those in power usually don't like change as it might threaten their position. Only if the change clearly benefits them, it can be a good thing, but even so they might be called radicals for it. Main actually has more or less the best allies she can because as a non-aristocratic merchant Benno doesn't care about social norms as much as he cares for profit. On the other hand, Ferdinand, the high priest, is kind of a disgruntled young noble, so he's not about immediately eliminating everything that could in any way harm his/his family's way of life.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I wonder what her social life was like in her previous life. At face value, you'd assume she was a borderline shut in (at the library) who only wanted to read books all day, every day, with no need for human connection. Maybe it has been the years in this world (or perhaps a more affectionate family), but Main's homesickness is pretty pronounced. Its sad to see, and one of the few times in anime where the construct of the suffering involved with loneliness has been at all effective on me on an emotional level. I'm sure it is a combination of her diminished stature and the conspiring of fateful machinations that confine her, but that shot of her eating alone, unable to even take comfort in her servants, was so dreary a to make me feel for her- an accomplishment of storytelling in my eyes.

Even though it has been looming for episodes, I've lost the plot for this ceremony coming up. Is it simply to recharge some magic items for the church, or is there some sort of turning point involved?

episode 29:

Oho, a more casual nobelman appeared! And makes Main pouty instantly, nice.

I'm kinda glad the adoption went over well without more drama. After all, it is the best choice.

A little low on content this week, but that's also because I could keep watching this anime forever. It's one of those rare anime that successfully managed to build up a believable fantasy world, so just ovserving everyday scenes is interesting.

I'm glad the knight at least realized what a non-issue not being able to hang out in the library is.