Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Honzuki no Gekokujou

Seems like Main doesn't have much interest in science, even though the printing press was extremely essential for modern science to develop and prosper. We have seen in the past Main does sport an interest in many things, not strictly in books, but maybe science was something like her least favourite subject back in school, in her previous life. Even though it requires a lot of reading. I refuse to believe Main would have been able to brush it off due to self-control. She hasn't got any.

I don't anymore know what to think of the nobles plotting Main's demise. Their previous attempt was so incompetent that it's hard to take them seriously. At least the scene did reveal something: Lots of other nobles apparently hate Ferdinand, yet find it difficult to get rid of him. So, it's not all about Main.

She only cares about science when it's IN a book. She has no interest in doing experiments or learning by doing.

That's a good point.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Here I thought the chunky priest was behind the previous kidnaping event, but thankfully he is sort of indifferent to Main until being given a concrete incentive by the other nobles who want to use her undoing as vengeance against another noble. While not a nice thing per say, I'm glad that not everybody is exclusively caught up in her (mein) and explicit dealings with her. Isekais tend to lose me when a great portion of the supporting cast's life begin to revolve around the mighty isekai protagonist, and that hasn't happened here.

Maybe the kid's allergic to goat's milk?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The kid's got measles or smallpox/chickenpox IMO.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    The kid's got measles or smallpox/chickenpox IMO.
    He's dead if it's smallpox. Who else would get it, as well? Delia can forget about becoming a concubine even if she survived it.

Although that being said, maybe the temple has some fancy magical healing methods. I don't recall us seeing healing magic all that much, though. The use of magic has been quite erratic in general, in this series.

Episode 33:

Good job, everyone, you would have let Dirk die. OMFG. Dehlia to the rescue! A baby bed that isn't totally open would be a nice idea, wouldn't it >_>

I loved the ink color testing, everyone standing around the young servant and watching so seriously at what's gonna happen

Didn't totally understand the plan for Dirk (so, is Main adopting him herself once she has been adopted?!), but I feel like we're reaching the point where Main will have to decide whether or not she wants to change this world for the better, aka fight nobility. Things could have gone WAY worse with Dirk easily, had the head priest not been as supportive. Someone else would have left Dirk to die, and I wonder what Main would have done then. "Oh well, it's how this world works", eh? Surely not, and yet the consequences would have been enormous. Hoping that they touch upon this dilemma in this season and then further develop it in the future.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    As Dehlia suggested, the church isn't known for stellar care. I'm expect they will be more careful in the future under Main's management.

Main is planning to make a contract with Dirk after she herself is a noble (which will be once she is adopted) to spare him from a life in a dungeon filling chalices.

Main doesn't seem to be the hot headed 'lets change the social constructs to better suit me' type, except when it comes to books, her hobby. I don't think this will delve into political/class structure reform.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    Main doesn't seem to be the hot headed 'lets change the social constructs to better suit me' type, except when it comes to books, her hobby. I don't think this will delve into political/class structure reform.
    So what do you think Main would have done if the head chief had told her "no, we cannot do anything, the baby will die"? Do you really think it'd be in-character for Main to just accept that?

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    So what do you think Main would have done if the head chief had told her "no, we cannot do anything, the baby will die"? Do you really think it'd be in-character for Main to just accept that?
    That would have been out of character for the head priest. He's the dude who saved Main, who was in a similar situation as Dirk here. Sure, he's no saint, but we have seen plenty of evidence of the man having some morals, even if he's a pragmatist. Perhaps the high priest being so corrupt pushes the head priest into the opposite direction. As I said before, the rotten nobles in general don't seem to much like Ferdinand, so maybe he's a part of some kind of righteous noble faction.

I expected Delia to go report to the high priest everything she has seen, like the symptoms, and that the head priest visited shortly after. The high priest probably would have guessed what's going on. Then the high priest's men would have come to take Dirk away, traumatising Delia. That would have resulted in Delia becoming a little less loyal spy. I wonder if the last scene will lead exactly to that, just with a little extra detour.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    She'd use the fruit as a poor man's magic tool to absorb his power while getting rich from paper sales.

She'd use the fruit as a poor man's magic tool to absorb his power while getting rich from paper sales.
    The correct solution.

The whole "devouring" thing and magic tools seems to be a way to keep the lower class in check.

What exactly happens to nobles born with mana? Are they just innately able to control or dispel it because they're built different? I doubt it. It just seems like young mages are given items to help control their mana build-up prior to learning how to do it themselves at the Royal Academy (which is of course Nobles Only).

Why can't poor kids go to the academy? Just because.

Why can't poor kids learn a spell or two so they can't just make a couple of Fire Balls whenever they get too pent up? Nobles only.

Why can't you give the poor a reusable chalice instead of a consumable magic tool? Because you can't let magic become prominent in the lower class. If the poor must live and keep their magic, they can only do so as the property of a noble (using the pretext of offering consumable magic tools for their survival).

This entire society is built on a series on monopolies. From a modern perspective, that's simply disgusting.

Is she actually getting rich from paper sales? We haven't seen much indication of it lately, have we? She was shocked and dejected when Ferdinand suggested she would need to pay for Dirk's blue robe status, if indeed she wanted to protect Dirk that way. That reaction suggested she would find it hard to come up with the money.

At the end of the day, without a printing press the demand for paper wouldn't increase so much, unless the paper was so cheap it could be used as toilet paper, literally. A widespread use for wrapping purchases would also require paper so cheap it wouldn't affect prices exceedingly much. It's not a paper mill she has developed, it's still an extremely labour intensive product of handcraft. It's good for nobles and wealthier merchants for writing letters. Not a super massive market. Books as well, of course, but books being too scarce is Main's reason for doing all this.

We haven't seen any indication that she's getting richer than the beginning of the season, no.

Episode 8:

Ok, that is nice plot progression, but Main and Tuli were totally kidnapped by "convenient camera angle". She was literally standing next to her noble guard, nobody should have been able to snatch her, lol.

Episode 34

- - - - - -

If this was realistic, the person in charge of the gate, who failed to inform the guards and thus allowed the oursider noble to enter with known forged papers, would be executed. That's how it worked back in the day.

I'm very disappointed by the kidnapping scene. It was so lousy. No distractions or anything. The kidnappers just walked in, stuffed Main and Tuuli into sacks, and run off. Like, come on. Otto was facing that way but did absolutely nothing. In fact, the whole scene made Otto looked like he was bribed and collaborating with the high priest's faction. He should be executed as well, just to be sure.

Dipshits all.

I can't figure out if I want Delia to have a really harsh wake-up call, or something worse.

I can't figure out if I want Delia to have a really harsh wake-up call, or something worse.
    I don't really care about what happens to her. Even if she died or ended up in a brothel. She's the "Something bad happened to me in the past, so now it's my moral privilege to care only about myself, even at the expense of others, the world owes me that" kind of character. She utterly fails to acknowledge how well Main has been treating her, despite her status as a hostile spy. Because she has maxed out her selfishness attribute. The way she treats Dirk has an echo of her looking at him as her own possession. On an emotional level he's of course connected to her trauma. So, he's a remedy for her. If she still could think of what's best for him, it might not matter, but she can't. She had no troubles letting the rotten, corrupt high priest handle Dirk's case.