Thread: Are spies really popular in japan right now?

Are spies really popular in japan right now?

I have a suspicion that there are more mangas that feature 'spy' as a title/job of the main character, not big titles (or particulary good), but i think there might be a surge in popularity for the concept:
    YOZAKURA FAMILY (family of spies)
    Spy X family. (didn't read, just saw the title)
    "The World Is Overflowing with Monster, I'm Taking a Liking to This Life " (reverse isekai, dude gets the job title 'spy')

(and probably some more).

is this just a coincidence, or is there a trend?

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

You should read SPY x FAMILY. Seriously. It's fucking great.

It's a mix of 1980s - 1990s Cold War Germany, human and experimentation, with extremely well executed comedic "timing" (I have no other word for how this is done in comics, but it isn't punchlines, it's actually the pacing and script of every scene). It's just slightly over the top, while also very believable in execution. Some characters effectively have superpowers (used for comedic effect instead of breaking overall series immersion), one legit does have a superpower (used for comedic effect), but the children act like children, and the adults have adult worries.

Nobody is perfect, everyone has one fault or another. Not just shit like, "omg I'm a terrible cook!" but more like..."I have no idea how to interact with normal people, will they catch me at it and hate me!?" It hits a balancing point between serious topics and brilliant comedy and parody.

The spy trend has been going on for a long time. You're missing stuff like ACCA, "Such a Cute Spy" from Korea, a fuckton of historical series from both countries, a few Reincarnated as a Villainess series with strong spy emphasis, and a few Josei series.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I wouldn't oppose espionage as a trend, as it typically isn't set in fantasy or isekai...

I give Spy x Family 10 months before it's animated...