Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Hmmm. This show is interesting, but I kinda worry about what will happen or what the goal of this story is going to be.
    In the end, she is a spider and even if she gets super strong, she won't really be able to live a normal life anymore, nor will she able to meet up with of her classmates who seem to have been turned into humans, mostly.

And basically, they have been in this new world for ~15+ years now?
    Are we looking at 2 different points of time?

Spider Stuff = immeadiatly after what has happened in school
    Human stuff = 15+ years later?

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Hmmm. This show is interesting, but I kinda worry about what will happen or what the goal of this story is going to be.
    In the end, she is a spider and even if she gets super strong, she won't really be able to live a normal life anymore, nor will she able to meet up with of her classmates who seem to have been turned into humans, mostly.
    Well, they have a pet dragon... so never say never.

Aren't the other students plus teacher also looking for the still missing reincarnators? The pet dragon has already showed them the result might be something else than a human as well. So, it's indeed excellent luck for Kumo that the pet dragon is there. But then again, Kumo herself would have no idea the others did reincarnate. I guess it would be 50-50 for her, to either think about it or not. One thing is sure, however: She might not want to live the rest of her life eating poisonous frogs like a real spider.

For all she knows, her classmates hatched right along side her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    For all she knows, her classmates hatched right along side her.
    Maybe she ate one (Kin Eater).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    She might not want to live the rest of her life eating poisonous frogs like a real spider.
    She gonna eventually evolve into some kinda Drider and become a Demon General.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    She gonna eventually evolve into some kinda Drider and become a Demon General.
    Never heard of a Drider before, so this is some sort of D&D term?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Nso this is some sort of D&D term?
    Yeah. I suppose the more universal term you'd find in anime would be an Arachne.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Well, they have a pet dragon... so never say never.
    Oh wait, she can *actually* speak? I thought the reaction of the human would've been different if he heard a spider talking to him.
    They were just doing "grunting" noises and they were *really* weird compared to your usual voice acting in anime for scenes like that one, so I kinda interpreted it as "I am Spider and can't understand Human"
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Fri, 01-22-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Oh wait, she can *actually* speak? I thought the reaction of the human would've been different if he heard a spider talking to him.
    They were just doing "grunting" noises and they were *really* weird compared to your usual voice acting in anime for scenes like that one, so I kinda interpreted it as "I am Spider and can't understand Human"
    Well, it's either a skill or an inherent characteristic of higher species like the reborn dragon. Will have to check how the dragon was doing it to compare, but too lazy to go back and check.

At least that confirms that she's not talking out loud... or at least if she thinks she is, she just saying gibberish and we simply have access to her inner thoughts. Honestly didn't give it too much thought on that scene with the spider and the humans, good catch.

Episode 3

- - - -

Now, for sure, I can say Kumo is a lot more foolish than in the manga adaptation. And I'm not a fan of that difference. In fact I reckon I'd drop this anime if it wasn't for those classmate parts that don't exist in the manga at all. Still, I guess I could always hope she becomes less foolish in this anime as well, making it more bearable. That being said, I can see the anime is cutting away material from Kumo's adventures to dedicate time to the classmates.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    At the Episode 03 mark, Slime is better.

Kumo feels less like a story and more like watching someone play a game. The story is with the classmates.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Episode 3

- - - -

Now, for sure, I can say Kumo is a lot more foolish than in the manga adaptation. And I'm not a fan of that difference. In fact I reckon I'd drop this anime if it wasn't for those classmate parts that don't exist in the manga at all. Still, I guess I could always hope she becomes less foolish in this anime as well, making it more bearable. That being said, I can see the anime is cutting away material from Kumo's adventures to dedicate time to the classmates.

Lol, opposite for me

I *love* how happy this spider is. This is so cute. Gives fat birb-feelings (Shield hero). I actually hated how the majority of the episode focused on the class - they didnt doanything interesting and it's dumb that the teacher died so easily, yet the students won. Meh. In-before arguments.

So about the spider scenes:

1.) Shouldn't she know plenty of small cravisses and holes where a littw spider like hers can hide from people? Baka kumo

2.) Actually, why hasn't she left the cave? Was that explained? If not, it's weird she'd prefer the creept, dark, monster-filled cave. Not that I can't think of reasons not to go outside, but it should be mentioned imo.

3.) The dragon at the end gives me the feeling that it's conscious. I can't imagine her defeating a level 39 monster, so I expect her to become friends with the dragon. Just my prediction, I don't know the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    At the Episode 03 mark, Slime is better.

Kumo feels less like a story and more like watching someone play a game. The story is with the classmates.
    Haven't watched the 3rd episode yet, but this series does in fact have a lot of grinding, particularly in the early volumes. Her story will arrive later indeed, but world wise the classmate's story serve that purpose to give us more insight into that world. But things should get more interesting sooner rather than later on her side of things, depending on the pacing... and honestly not sure what the correct answer is in regards on how to pace these portions.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    1.) Shouldn't she know plenty of small cravisses and holes where a littw spider like hers can hide from people? Baka kumo

2.) Actually, why hasn't she left the cave? Was that explained? If not, it's weird she'd prefer the creept, dark, monster-filled cave. Not that I can't think of reasons not to go outside, but it should be mentioned imo.

3.) The dragon at the end gives me the feeling that it's conscious. I can't imagine her defeating a level 39 monster, so I expect her to become friends with the dragon. Just my prediction, I don't know the manga.
    Many of your questions/observations should be explained eventually.

About the spider, is she actually that small? I mean, I would suppose there's a difference between a regular spider and a spider that's actually a monster. So while she's small, is she small enough to fit into small crevices? I don't know, animation wise she doesn't look all that small to me. Will go back to hunt the episodes where she meets the humans and compare how small she actually is. I think she was spotted fairly easily as it is.
    Last edited by Munsu; Fri, 01-22-2021 at 03:18 PM.

She's the size of a very large dog, I'd say. However, considering crevices and holes, her body shape actually wouldn't serve her well in escaping humans, unless she found a long tunnel, not a dead end, which would allow her to run normally but humans would need go through on all fours. Another option would actually be to use her ability to climb on walls effortlessly. Of course it would require vertical shafts or large spaces.

A large dog?! I'd have said a small dog/large rat. Would also make sense in comparison to the snakes, unless those are giant snakes. And she was like below the humans' knees from my impression. "large dog' size would be a shocking revelation to me

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    A large dog?! I'd have said a small dog/large rat. Would also make sense in comparison to the snakes, unless those are giant snakes. And she was like below the humans' knees from my impression. "large dog' size would be a shocking revelation to me
    Haha, I think we just consider different dog sizes as large or small. Maybe it was medium dog size, then? I don't think the dungeon has any living creatures that aren't bloated in size.

Watched quickly a bit in episode 2, I'd say the spider may be the size of a Chihuahua... I think this was pre-evolving, not sure if she changed sized some.

But who knows, could've been an animation miscue.

At least in the anime, she's roughly the same size as the indestructible egg. The egg was roughly the same size as the adult man's torso, maybe a little bit bigger. So, yeah, not a big dog. A medium dog.

I checked the egg scene in the manga as well. Not much different. Still, that's a big spider, nonetheless, even if not gigantic like the mother spider.

At least in the anime, she's roughly the same size as the indestructible egg. The egg was roughly the same size as the adult man's torso, maybe a little bit bigger. So, yeah, not a big dog. A medium dog.

I checked the egg scene in the manga as well. Not much different. Still, that's a big spider, nonetheless, even if not gigantic like the mother spider.
    Maybe it was the angle that I saw. Regardless, it's not really a SMALL creature all told.