Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    I'm considering the actual pace and the level ups she needs to get to lazy pet dragon.
    I might be wrong but the dragon our spider just met is not stronger that the one the lazy pet one killed in a single bite.
    Spider is level 10, those dragons are level 31/37 from memory. Lazy pet could be at least 40, but probably more as that one felt like a simple low level physical attack. Not something elaborate and using several techniques combined with magic. Only core basic strength.

So we have at least 2 eps of pure boring cave grinding ? maybe 5? maybe till the end of the cour at ep12?
    That's a lot more than I can endure
    But I understand other profiles will love that show as is.

Give me more "pure boring cave grinding" if it's as great as this last episode <3

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

I'm considering the actual pace and the level ups she needs to get to lazy pet dragon.
    I might be wrong but the dragon our spider just met is not stronger that the one the lazy pet one killed in a single bite.
    Spider is level 10, those dragons are level 31/37 from memory. Lazy pet could be at least 40, but probably more as that one felt like a simple low level physical attack. Not something elaborate and using several techniques combined with magic. Only core basic strength.

So we have at least 2 eps of pure boring cave grinding ? maybe 5? maybe till the end of the cour at ep12?
    That's a lot more than I can endure
    But I understand other profiles will love that show as is.
    Well, each time she evolves she resets to level 1... of that particular species. So that's something to consider. I'm not sure if she can continue leveling up a species if she doesn't evolve. I think she's currently a small taratect, on that regard I'm not sure if she can become a level 40 small taratect, so levels can be a bit deceptive... though maybe having high level is a sign that a species is intrinsically strong and allows you to level up that much.

Can't recall how stats change after evolving, but I don't recall her becoming weaker after evolving even if having a lesser level.

I just think more than the grind, that she's only there talking to herself with no interaction with other characters or humans may be making it more tedious, particularly if you're not invested in these types of stories.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Well it's possible the higher the race, the more steps you need to level-up
    And maybe the adjective is a multiplier of ten:
    -small is 1 times ten
    -no adjective is 2 times ten
    -medium 3
    -large is 4
    -huge is 5
    Or any idea that explains 10s for spider-chan, 29 for the humans in the cave, 17 for mantis or orher species, 31 for the cave dragon, 37 for the school outdoor training incident.

And you're right, monologue and no social interaction might not be my thing in anime.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I refuse to believe the outdoor student training incident dragon was a tough one. The fight was lousy and just how fricking strong would the lazy pet dragon need to be to slay a formidable dragon just like that, huh? The students didn't look strong at all, no matter how you evaluate them. The training they were doing looked like nothing beyond very basic.

So we'll get a full season of that slow grinding levelling ?
    The entire reason I'm here.

Don't even know wtf you're talking about with "slow grinding". Went up, like, 5 levels in one episode in a giant cool fucking battle.

Spider is level 10, those dragons are level 31/37 from memory.
    That's because the level of one monster isn't the same as level 1 of another monster.

Remember that she already WAS level 10 once, and then evolved and that reset her back to level 1, without her getting any weaker. So a level 1 Small Lesser Teresect is stronger than a level 10 Small Teresect. So direct level comparison isn't really relevant.

Pet Dragon might still only be level 1(or was before she killed that dragon), but is an incredibly powerful monster type.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Give me more "pure boring cave grinding" if it's as great as this last episode <3
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sat, 01-30-2021 at 04:14 PM.

And you're right, monologue and no social interaction might not be my thing in anime.
    From a LNs standpoint, it was not an issue (for me) because she's a great narrator (better than we've seen in the anime) and from the start I mentioned that this was something that was going to be hard to adapt.

I mean, I don't know if in the end this series will work for you either way, but internally I'd just hate to see you drop it before things actually develop beyond her monologues, but I understand why this wouldn't work for everyone.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Okay I'll wait... maybe
    @Darth: slow as she levelled up a number of times but still feels very weak if my assumptions are correct. And we have been shown no ways of comparing her to her former classmates. It's not even sure they'll meet before the end of the cour, eventhough we know they are trying to find everyone from that school.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Okay I'll wait... maybe
    @Darth: slow as she levelled up a number of times but still feels very weak if my assumptions are correct.
    *shrug* She just killed, like, 100 monsters that were all higher level than her at the start of the battle. Doesn't seem that weak to me.

Okay I'll wait... maybe
    It's not even sure they'll meet before the end of the cour, eventhough we know they are trying to find everyone from that school.
    Honestly, I was looking forward to there being some kind of racist conflict between them and her when they finally met again. But they ruined that by already giving them one of their classmates as a monster. So that's already a thing they know about and accept. Which defuses any of the tension.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DEX
    *shrug* She just killed, like, 100 monsters that were all higher level than her at the start of the battle. Doesn't seem that weak to me.
    That should have given her more levels.

Using the landside for situational advantage was smart, but I wouldn't call that strong.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

She couldn't have done it without her crazy strong webbing, and tons of it. The fact that she has that is powerful.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    This is the first episode I've genuinely enjoyed from end-to end. If this level of action/spectacle is where this show is heading, I look forward to what's coming.

I'd hate the constant monologue if I didn't find her voice to be cute.

Episode 5:

More of the same from the spider side, though we get a bit more technical on how the skills in this world work. Comedy wise, I thought this was quite on-point and enjoyed that aspect. From the other reincarnators' side, we see that the dragon chick is indeed strong, despite being low-level in her species, particularly when compared with our spider that has been leveling up like crazy. Also, it looks like there's an organization (religious fanatics) that hunt down people who have acquired the Taboo skills (or is it title?). Anyways, last scene after the ED looks promising, seems like we have a setup for one of the first real noteworthy engagements (monkeys aside)... at least I hope.

It was definitely interesting.

I laughed hard thinking a lot of the skills she's recently acquired make her sound like she's becoming a demon lord, and sure enough, Level 1 Demon Lord got added to the list.

I kinda assumed she would acquire Gluttony after devouring that entire catfish and vowing to exterminate the entire species because they taste good.

As for the other kids which is all new content for me as a manga reader (which only follows Kumoko's direct POV with only a single side chapter thus far), the religious angle certainly is fascinating. She's not crazy, it sounds like she is literally hearing the voice of God in this world telling her what to do and how to act. "Murder anything with Taboo as a trait." Meaning Fei and Kumoko are both enemies of this world's God, and that aligns with Kumoko becoming a demon lord. So all the kids and their teacher actually grew up from birth in this world as well, they just retained all their memories from their past life. The one girl was tossed into a convent and has since gone full cultist...and coincidentally worships his brother as the human Hero.

KrayZ33 brought it up before, but it certainly would make sense that we're looking at different timelines, or at least everyone was reincarnated at different times. Fei seems to have been born more recently than the other students.
    When is Kumoko's taking place then? We have to presume she's 'younger' than the other human/elven students.

His brother has entered the Labyrinth and all the way down to the layer Kumo's story is on right now. But is it at the same time?

Timelines absolutely must differ, although I'm curious to find out why kumo has been born later, assuming she'll meet Julius next episode. Maybe she actually died multiple times and was re-re-re-re-etc-born? Lol

Also I LOVE how the battle theme starts out sounding like when Neo fights Agents in Matrix. Hilarious.

Yeah, the dragon reincarnator indeed seems strong. I have to wonder exactly how. At least we can deduce the human reincarnators (and the dragon girl?) have been living in that world since their birth, though, so they obviously have a giant head start compared to Kumoko. How long has Kumoko been around? A month? In that sense, time wise, the dragon girl (what is she, Ryuuko?) being ahead is not so unfair, but it still doesn't explain how she gained experience. Nothing indicates she has been going out to fight strong opponents. Did she just level up by loitering and studying?

Based on the student's earth dragon fight alone, Kumoko should have a huge actual combat experience edge, if nothing else, should they ever meet. In a certain sense an intelligent monster with zero combat experience can be less dangerous than a more animalistic monster guided by instincts. Naturally a monster with intelligence and experience is the most dangerous of all. Although the dragon girl was highly effcient and decisive when she finally decided to fight.

The religious nutjob girl is annoying. Although when she started to talk about the taboo skill holder witch hunt, I was glad. Not only would she oppose Kumoko, she's even opposed to Fei (though she doesn't know it yet). That sort of conflict among them is jolly good!

Her design works so well as a Nendoroid.
    This was also an enjoyable episode.

OMG, that nendo is too perfect

Well, her new form is kinda goofy(little jester poofs all over it...), but it's still not the one she has in the ED.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    She's not crazy, it sounds like she is literally hearing the voice of God in this world telling her what to do and how to act.
    Uh, yeah, that's the computer that talks to them when they level up/attain skills. She's just the only one too stupid to realize it's not god.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Well, her new form is kinda goofy(little jester poofs all over it...), but it's still not the one she has in the ED.

Uh, yeah, that's the computer that talks to them when they level up/attain skills. She's just the only one too stupid to realize it's not god.
    Yeah but it give instructions, let alone tell you to kill people with certain attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Yeah but it give instructions, let alone tell you to kill people with certain attributes.
    Well, add to that that it seems that there's a whole religion behind it, so not the only one too stupid mind you.