Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Anyways, great to see more powerful characters introduced. At first I thought the Hero was after our spider or maybe after Mother, and honestly was hoping he'd be more powerful.
    Didn't he think the white spider's stats must all exceed 2000, yet he wasn't overly concerned about it? He's pretty powerful already. He could have killed Kumoko without breaking a sweat. Kumoko needed to give her all to beat the eel, whose highest stat was just under 900. Of course now Kumoko evolved, but is still far from the white spider.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Didn't he think the white spider's stats must all exceed 2000, yet he wasn't overly concerned about it? He's pretty powerful already. He could have killed Kumoko without breaking a sweat. Kumoko needed to give her all to beat the eel, whose highest stat was just under 900. Of course now Kumoko evolved, but is still far from the white spider.
    I'll just quote myself from the next post I wrote:

Honestly, there's some much visual and text input in this episodes, I'm really ignoring all the skills/stats as they're presented. It was something huge I paid attention as I was reading the LN, but can't be bothered with the anime.
    I'm not saying he isn't powerful though, just that if he had this much trouble against this monster even with a full party, I would've hoped he was even stronger. I mean, usually heroes (sometimes along with party members) are on par or close to it to fight against a Demon Lord... or maybe this spider was THAT strong and that's why the Demon Lord got interest in it to dispatch it.

So maybe that's the context I wasn't considering, maybe this spider was special in its own right and could make even a Hero struggle.
    Last edited by Munsu; Fri, 02-12-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    He did have trouble killing it, and required a significant distraction.

For something with base stats of over 2000, it had pretty shitty durability though. Once its speed was nullified it was toast.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Was that demon lord at the end even talking about that white spider? I thought she meant Kumoko, albeit it was delivered subtly. Or do you infer that from the white spider being distressed at some point? My first association was that the white spider felt Kumoko's presence, in a subtle way to hype up our favorite spider girl. Although being scared of the demon lord probably makes more sense.

Anyway, god, I love this anime so much. You'd think watching all the level ups and power stats being explained would get boring, BUT IT DOESNT. I could watch this anime for hours. If this was a real video game, it'd be super fun because of the fast pace and the lack of stupid grinding.

Although I gotta criticize Kumoko a bit: She really ought to stop fighting enemies that are several levels above her own. Like, it always ends well somehow, but realistically, that's not how you'd do things. For her, it's not a game after all. There's no shame in grinding on some lower level enemies.

Her new look that was teasted in the opening looks super cool.Really looking forward to the moment when she finally meets her past fellow students. ALTHOUGH: We talked about different time lines before, right? What if that white spider WAS Kumoko after all? That's why it could speak. Maybe that's her end form when the negative effects (that surely will become a thing at some point) of her proud/heretic/demon lord skill accumulate too much. God, that would be bitter if we basically got to see the end of the anime and then in episode 12 she crawls up to the location where Julius and his party were and the series ends like that. >_<

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Was that demon lord at the end even talking about that white spider? I thought she meant Kumoko, albeit it was delivered subtly. Or do you infer that from the white spider being distressed at some point? My first association was that the white spider felt Kumoko's presence, in a subtle way to hype up our favorite spider girl. Although being scared of the demon lord probably makes more sense.
    That's a very good point, hadn't thought of that. It could very well be a red herring and the Demon Lord is talking about something completely unrelated.

Anyway, god, I love this anime so much. You'd think watching all the level ups and power stats being explained would get boring, BUT IT DOESNT. I could watch this anime for hours. If this was a real video game, it'd be super fun because of the fast pace and the lack of stupid grinding.

Although I gotta criticize Kumoko a bit: She really ought to stop fighting enemies that are several levels above her own. Like, it always ends well somehow, but realistically, that's not how you'd do things. For her, it's not a game after all. There's no shame in grinding on some lower level enemies.
    Well, that's the point of the last few episodes. She fell to some floors of this dungeon which only have strong monsters. If she goes back to where she was she'll find stronger monsters, if she keeps heading to the upper floors (where she was at the beginning but fell from), she'll have to go through this magma level which is her natural enemy. Point being, there's not much lower level monsters around for her to defeat, she's had to rely on luck and wits to get by.

Her new look that was teasted in the opening looks super cool.Really looking forward to the moment when she finally meets her past fellow students. ALTHOUGH: We talked about different time lines before, right? What if that white spider WAS Kumoko after all? That's why it could speak. Maybe that's her end form when the negative effects (that surely will become a thing at some point) of her proud/heretic/demon lord skill accumulate too much. God, that would be bitter if we basically got to see the end of the anime and then in episode 12 she crawls up to the location where Julius and his party were and the series ends like that. >_<
    Holy shit, she's dead!

Well, that's the point of the last few episodes. She fell to some floors of this dungeon which only have strong monsters. If she goes back to where she was she'll find stronger monsters, if she keeps heading to the upper floors (where she was at the beginning but fell from), she'll have to go through this magma level which is her natural enemy. Point being, there's not much lower level monsters around for her to defeat, she's had to rely on luck and wits to get by.
    Hm, I had thought of this world being like a video game, where enemies will respawn after some time, so Kumoko could just keep beating these ape monsters or feed of the lava fish monsters. But that's maybe too gamey, yeah.

Holy shit, she's dead!
    Ikr?!

Although I wanna think of a happier option here: The white spider is a physical manifestation of Kumoko's split personality that was introduced in this episode. Basically, Julius defeated a mirror/clone of Kumoko. All assuming that we're witnessing different timelines.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Hm, I had thought of this world being like a video game, where enemies will respawn after some time, so Kumoko could just keep beating these ape monsters or feed of the lava fish monsters. But that's maybe too gamey, yeah.
    Well, those apes were too strong for her as it were, she was lucky to come out alive. Also it's not like she's particularly looking for strong monsters, some she couldn't avoid like this latest one.

Not sure about the respawn thing, didn't think of that, but I think you're underestimating the level of the ones she's defeated in the last episodes. That said, at least in the current floor she got the trick down of depleting their MP.

Future Kumo, Ghost Kumo...

Boy, you guys are reading a lot into the fact that the white spider looks like the same species as Kumiko.

Hm, I had thought of this world being like a video game, where enemies will respawn after some time
    When monsters respawn in video games, it's normally assumed that those are different monsters replacing them. It's not the SAME monster coming back to life.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sat, 02-13-2021 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Boy, you guys are reading a lot into the fact that the white spider looks like the same species as Kumiko.
    Aren't they all the same species? They just evolve randomly every 10 levels. The gargantuan mother and Kumoko are still the same species, even though Kumoko has turned into different looking things a few times. It wouldn't surprise me of that whole huge dungeon only had a single giant spider species occupying it, with myriads variations. That being said, Kumoko hasn't really needed to fight other spiders that much.

Omg, what if the white spider was Kumoko's child? 🙈 Although that'd only work if spiders could procreate asexually, as I doubt Kumoko would want to have sex with some spider, eww-lol.

I currently believe there's no major timeline async between the human scenes and Kumoko. I have no particular basis for this, but since, I heavily assume, the humans (and elf) were actually reborn in the new word, just like Kumoko, they would have needed many years to reach a relevant level of development. Kumoko, being an evolving monster, apparently didn't. If she had gone for a different path, she would now be as big as a house, after all. So, they would now be kind of equal maturity wise. You might claim the students have double the mental age, but I'm sure it's not so simple or straightforward if you start from a baby again. They very much don't act like it, at least. Although I don't know how the elf teacher fits in. Did she reborn even earlier?

If the student scenes were from the past, wouldn't they be geezers if Kumoko ever meets them, like you'd assume she will in a story like this? If the scenes were from the future (they were born at the same time with Kumoko), it feels kind of pointless because it would take many years for them to be able to interact with Kumoko in a relevant manner, plus if Kumoko keeps up the current speed of development, she would be like a god compared to them.

Aren't they all the same species? They just evolve randomly every 10 levels. The gargantuan mother and Kumoko are still the same species, even though Kumoko has turned into different looking things a few times. It wouldn't surprise me of that whole huge dungeon only had a single giant spider species occupying it, with myriads variations. That being said, Kumoko hasn't really needed to fight other spiders that much.
    I kinda wish they did a better job explaining Kumoko's evolutionary tree. They didn't even tell us what the other option was this time, she just picked the first one she looked at.

The teratects get pretty big, and her mother is a huge teratect, but Kumoko keeps staying small like she discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I kinda wish they did a better job explaining Kumoko's evolutionary tree. They didn't even tell us what the other option was this time, she just picked the first one she looked at.

The teratects get pretty big, and her mother is a huge teratect, but Kumoko keeps staying small like she discussed.
    I think she just saw "small" and went along with that regardless, which she has been doing at every evolution chance.

But regardless, if you go with a different evolution side of the tree, can you still be considered the same species?

But regardless, if you go with a different evolution side of the tree, can you still be considered the same species?
    That's actually a very good question, despite what I said earlier. I was only thinking of the genetics, but in fact originally a species was defined to be a group of organisms that can and may breed with each other and produce fertile offspring. Now, that's the real question mark what comes to those giant spiders. I believe Kumoko is already in the rare territory, so if she can't breed with the less rare ones, chances are she simply wouldn't find a spider-man to produce offspring with.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    chances are she simply wouldn't find a spider-man to produce offspring with.
    /cue disappointment-from-MFauli.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

One of the skills she's passed on a few times so far is "egg laying."

She may not need anything more than that.

...which is horrifying in its own way when you think about it. What other monsters can just acquire it?

One of the skills she's passed on a few times so far is "egg laying."

She may not need anything more than that.

...which is horrifying in its own way when you think about it. What other monsters can just acquire it?
    So you're telling me she has the ability to have infinite fried eggs, and no need to worry to hunt monsters for self-sustenance and she hasn't realized it yet!?

Aren't they all the same species?
    I mean, they all seem to be teratects, yes. But Kumiko looks much different now than she used to. She's got scythe arms and a spikey black shell.

The white spider looks exactly the way she does now only it's, ya know, all white. And it doesn't have her chibi face.

They didn't even tell us what the other option was this time, she just picked the first one she looked at.
    Yeah that bugged me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    /cue disappointment-from-MFauli.
    Lol

Message too short blabla

episode 6:

not sure if i like that administrator revelation. so they might literally be inside a video game? Now I kinda expect some dumb overarching plot.

also, it jeopardizes all the grinding and skill unlocking when there's some person that just randomly listens to players' requests and gives them what they want ... or might take away stuff unfairly. Hope it's being used carefully.