Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

I was expecting more from her evolution based on the ED, but I guess she's not at that stage yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    In fact I reckon I'd drop this anime if it wasn't for those classmate parts that don't exist in the manga at all.
    That's weird, cause I don't give a SHIT about those segments, and whenever they're on I just wanna get back to the spider.

But, anime has to waifu, so I just have to sit through that boring crap.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 01-22-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I'm a bit tired of her cave slow grinding and she's still extremely weak compared to anything in that cave and humans.
    I don't see myself watching this for a long time if the pace doesn't pick-up.
    Her former classmates story was dull. Two key points were so poorly animated/framed I'm not sure what happened and why we got that result:
    -teacher fatal blow: what was that, what attack did that, why did that dyno not fire that attack again at students ?
    -chibi dragon vore: we had what, less thant 10/20 frames when she jumps and bites and she easily bites that monster that killed a teacher ? I could just accept she's that strong already and it seems the focus was on her being a monster and probably her fear of losing her humanity. But I'd like such an important scene to be better animated.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Her former classmates story was dull. Two key points were so poorly animated/framed I'm not sure what happened and why we got that result:
    -teacher fatal blow: what was that, what attack did that, why did that dyno not fire that attack again at students ?
    -chibi dragon vore: we had what, less thant 10/20 frames when she jumps and bites and she easily bites that monster that killed a teacher ? I could just accept she's that strong already and it seems the focus was on her being a monster and probably her fear of losing her humanity. But I'd like such an important scene to be better animated.

Fully agreed.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    I was expecting more from her evolution based on the ED, but I guess she's not at that stage yet.

That's weird, cause I don't give a SHIT about those segments, and whenever they're on I just wanna get back to the spider.

But, anime has to waifu, so I just have to sit through that boring crap.
    In fact I don't, either, find those classmate parts objectively speaking all that entertaining. It's just that the manga has made me invested in the story in general, so those parts that don't exist in the manga, they kind of feel like extras/bonus episodes for me, so I can watch them for the sake of learning more about the world. Kumo's own parts in this anime, however, feel quite a bit inferior to the manga, so I'm not enjoying them all that much. It's all about what I'm used to: I'm used to how she is and how her adventures are depicted in the manga, so the differences in the anime rub me the wrong way.

I'm a bit tired of her cave slow grinding and she's still extremely weak compared to anything in that cave and humans.
    I don't see myself watching this for a long time if the pace doesn't pick-up.
    Her former classmates story was dull. Two key points were so poorly animated/framed I'm not sure what happened and why we got that
    Agreed, the CGI was bad for this dragon. Made it comical.

result:
    I believe it was some sort of breath attack, not sure if it was a different element than the fire one we saw afterwards which was indeed used but the student MC blocked it with his special sword or something. And if it wasn't, it looked like a major ability regardless. And I think it was going to use another of those moves again when the student MC saved the hot-blooded dude, but it was hard to tell.

That aside, it's not really about "using it again", if we see the stats from our spider, there are Magic Points and Stamina Points to consider, which seems to be integral to how the world works.

As for the chibii dragon, it looked quite nonsensical and that aside, agreed... it looked like an important scene which lacked better execution. I would like to go back and read this portion in the light novel, at least the chibi dragon attack and see how it happened. Feels she took it down too easily. For someone we've been assuming has been lazy and not leveling up, it seemed to kill that dragon with ease.

Other than that, I think it failed to ingrain the horror of the world to these students which seem naive to this point.

Honestly, show seems slow right now, but it really is trying to fit in a lot of content rapidly so that we may get more into the story quicker.

And man, was that teacher weak... hope that's not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    At least in the anime, she's roughly the same size as the indestructible egg. The egg was roughly the same size as the adult man's torso, maybe a little bit bigger. So, yeah, not a big dog. A medium dog.

I checked the egg scene in the manga as well. Not much different. Still, that's a big spider, nonetheless, even if not gigantic like the mother spider.
    She looked bigger in comparison to the humans in this latest episode.
    Last edited by Munsu; Sat, 01-23-2021 at 09:11 AM.

The progress within the manga is so glacially slow, I will take anything that adds to the overall plot more.

Thanks Munsu for the details.

Isekaļ slices of life from all classes of human and monster perspective with slow grinding... could it be a description of that show ?

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Thanks Munsu for the details.

Isekaļ slices of life from all classes of human and monster perspective with slow grinding... could it be a description of that show ?
    I guess in part it could look that way, but we're still in the introductory phase... which indeed has plenty of grinding, at least from the spider perspective. There's always going to be a bit of that element, and a bit of slice of life... but without saying much, we should see plenty of action.

The only aspect I'm really unsure right now is about the humor because our spider had a funnier more sarcastic personality, I just hope we eventually get to see that side of her better. Since I said from the beginning, a lot of the charm (light novel wise) was how great of a narrator she was and I know that's hard to adapt. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The progress within the manga is so glacially slow, I will take anything that adds to the overall plot more.
    The problem with that is that takes the part I care about, Spider's progression, and makes it take even longer.

Instead of cutting boring spider parts and replacing them with boring human parts, just cut the boring spider parts and replace them with double spider progress!

Episode 4:

Man, I just love this spider. You know, her beating all these stronger by herself is bullshit, sure. But I allow it because the alternative would have been some lameass "somebody coming to the rescue" or even worse "some contrieved coincidence saving her". So I prefer this Guts-100-men fight solution. Although I gotta admit: When she had half her body bitten off, surviving that and fighting on was a little bit too bs, lol. But ... I allow it!

Happy spider makes me happy.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

That was a great goddamn episode!

She's using strategy to beat things above her level, so she's leveling so fast she's basically using leveling up like a healing potion.

Make sure to watch after the credits. Looking forward to her next form.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 01-29-2021 at 03:32 PM.

I'm just glad they covered all this in a single episode.

This was like four-six months of the manga, and the monkeys were annoying as fuck.

edit: I think I was right the first time, 6 months
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 01-29-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Yeah, I don't mind the monkey escapade being over in a single episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I'm just glad they covered all this in a single episode.

This was like four-six months of the manga, and the monkeys were annoying as fuck.
    Th-this is a monthly manga...right?

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Although I gotta admit: When she had half her body bitten off, surviving that and fighting on was a little bit too bs, lol. But ... I allow it!
    Doesn't she have like pain resistance or something like that? She's been gaining quite a few resistances, can't recall... but if she does, that may explain some of it.

So we'll get a full season of that slow grinding levelling ? Dropped...

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Doesn't she have like pain resistance or something like that? She's been gaining quite a few resistances, can't recall... but if she does, that may explain some of it.
    When half your body is missing, I'd assume it's less about pain and more about ... basic function. 😅

So we'll get a full season of that slow grinding levelling ? Dropped...
    Not going to lie, we still have some episodes to go of the grind, but I don't think it'll go on THAT long... I think it's going fast paced in that regard to get into the more story-plot of the series sooner. But we'll see. But LitRPG is not for everyone and since she's basically in a 24/7 monologue right now it can get monotonous for some.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    When half your body is missing, I'd assume it's less about pain and more about ... basic function. ��
    You know, started reading a bit about spiders in general and it's quite something what one can find, some things that are happening here that we give credit to power-ups and skills and what not, may actually be real characteristics of spiders. For example, I don't know if everyone that levels up gets to go back to full health like our spider here does, but just as an example real spiders (at least some of them) are able to regrow their legs and probably other parts of their body.

And even if she feels pain, I mean, she was about to pass out as she mentioned, I figure the pain a spider may feel about losing limbs may not be compared at all with how a human would feel it, and this isn't even taking into account whatever skills/resistances she has gained along the way.
    Last edited by Munsu; Sat, 01-30-2021 at 10:29 AM.

I'm considering the actual pace and the level ups she needs to get to lazy pet dragon.
    I might be wrong but the dragon our spider just met is not stronger that the one the lazy pet one killed in a single bite.
    Spider is level 10, those dragons are level 31/37 from memory. Lazy pet could be at least 40, but probably more as that one felt like a simple low level physical attack. Not something elaborate and using several techniques combined with magic. Only core basic strength.

So we have at least 2 eps of pure boring cave grinding ? maybe 5? maybe till the end of the cour at ep12?
    That's a lot more than I can endure
    But I understand other profiles will love that show as is.

It's going much faster than the manga, but if LitRPG slow grinding is not for you, I would not feel bad about dropping it.