Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

episode 24:

So that's it? Or more episodes coming? Unlike the last 2-3 episodes, this one looked fine.

Lots of progress, no downtime, I like it. A couple questions remain, like why did she hatch all the eggs simultaneously? She must be able to control the hatching, otherwise it'd be total coincidence whether rebirthing after getting killed actually works. Also Potimas is an idiot. Why does he have so many spare bodies? When he revealed himself to be a machine, my first thought was "why didn't have make the soldier robots that are fighting in the future as strong as his own body? That way they wouldn't be defeated as easily by Sophia. I answered myself "well, he's probably using all the best, rarest materials for his own robot body". Guess not, lol. Imagine if a 100 Potimas fought Sophia, she wouldn't realistically stand a chance.Oh well.

Kumoko finally evolved into white spider girl. Guess we can finally fap to her-WAIT WAT. Ahem. I wonder how she actually goes from her initial Arane form to fully human. Is it a matter of control? Or is there a higher evolution that we just weren't shown to happen? Either way, it's kinda frustrating that she still cannot use regular speech. The silent character totally doesnt fit her inner monologues, lol.

Good anime, slightly worsened by some shit animated episodes, and the human heroes scenes are boring. Hope we get a 2nd season.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Also Potimas is an idiot. Why does he have so many spare bodies? When he revealed himself to be a machine, my first thought was "why didn't have make the soldier robots that are fighting in the future as strong as his own body? That way they wouldn't be defeated as easily by Sophia. I answered myself "well, he's probably using all the best, rarest materials for his own robot body". Guess not, lol. Imagine if a 100 Potimas fought Sophia, she wouldn't realistically stand a chance.Oh well.

Kumoko finally evolved into white spider girl. Guess we can finally fap to her-WAIT WAT. Ahem. I wonder how she actually goes from her initial Arane form to fully human. Is it a matter of control? Or is there a higher evolution that we just weren't shown to happen? Either way, it's kinda frustrating that she still cannot use regular speech. The silent character totally doesnt fit her inner monologues, lol.
    My guess? He's a fucking coward. World-ending advanced technology, primarily used to preserve himself and attempts to kill Ariel, who rightly wants to kill him off. Maybe he can only control the bodies with an actual consciousness, otherwise they're about as useful as those tank things.

I'm also guessing that Sophia and Kyouya were both specifically trained up to kill Potimas. Sophia is an absolute physical beast, she pretty easily can dispatch those cyborg bodies like when Shun was chased out of his palace. With those out of the way, Ariel or Kumoko could both use Abyss magic when the other two have his real body finally cornered.

And Ariel is why Potimas wanted to use Oka to get Shun on his side. To protect himself. Because he's a fucking coward and Ariel is after him specifically so she can finally save the world.

As for Kumoko, I think that's that gag and why her fully human form is so quiet. She's an inner flurry of monologuing, but shy out the outside. Classic shy introvert, Wakaba. I think she can talk now, she just...doesn't. Ariel has no problem talking to her via telepathy, and vice versa. The more she relies on it, well, the less she's going to be used to actually talking, which closes the loop on her very monotone and brief way of speaking in the future timeline.

But the big laugh was Ariel is now officially an idiot, thanks to Body integrating. Nice Sailor Moon pose.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 07-03-2021 at 10:52 AM. Reason: A couple clarity edits.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I think I heard a rearrangement of the matrix fight scenes theme...
    We pretty much know what is to come and the low budget animation and scenari that goes with the humanoïd side of the story.
    We pretty much know all there is to know about Sophia and Kumoko/Wakaba.
    That show can only go down from there, am I wrong ?

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Too much spider! That form is still too much spider!

So she's...Wakaba. Which means nothing since I know nothing about the kids.

The robot shit is helladumb.

I wonder how she actually goes from her initial Arane form to fully human. Is it a matter of control? Or is there a higher evolution that we just weren't shown to happen?
    Arachne is probably the start of a whole new evolution chart.

Either way, it's kinda frustrating that she still cannot use regular speech. The silent character totally doesnt fit her inner monologues, lol.
    I assume she has to learn to talk.

It's weird though but she's also acting different. But fighting Potimas, she acted normal, but now she's suddenly reserved. For seeming NO reason other than to mislead the audience before, which is starting to piss me off, and is reaching M. Night levels of hackyness.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sat, 07-03-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    It's weird though but she's also acting different. But fighting Potimas, she acted normal, but now she's suddenly reserved. For seeming NO reason other than to mislead the audience before, which is starting to piss me off, and is reaching M. Night levels of hackyness.
    It's not just to mislead.

She's always been this way. She's completely silent in the Japan flashback. She says she didn't socialize much. She mostly played video games by herself and read books. But from inside her own head, she's a motormouth.

As for being reserved with Ariel...Ariel repeatedly tried to kill her, succeeded twice technically. Of course she'd be a little reserved around her. The "Girl in White" doesn't act differently from what we've seen. There's that savage smirk when she kills Julius' party off.

She never shuts up internally, but never speaks externally.

Hmm... I'd say the pale lady question was actually handled pretty well, both aspects of it: Why she's so different from the Kumoko we know and why she's working for the demon lord. She's actually still the same, deep down, but since she's now a part of an organisation and is aware of the demon lord being able to destroy her, she's toning down her external behavior. Perhaps having humanoid parts, and later a fully humanoid body, actually also makes her behave more like a human in general. It's not the same anymore, now that she doesn't look like a monster animal. She could feel embarrassed about behaving too wildly or foolishly, especially with another reincarnator around. In the end I reckon lots of people behave far more sloppily back home alone than in the presence of others.

On the other hand, the demon lord is under a false impression that she can't finish Kumoko off for good. Combine that with losing the motivation due to the parallel mind fusion, and it's understandable she would rather keep Kumoko in check by having her nearby than to keep her as an unknown, possibly hostile, faction somewhere out there. It's good that we now know how they began to work together and under what conditions. Kumoko isn't strictly speaking an underling but an ally. In another sense she is an underling if she's following the demon lord's plan.

I also liked the scene where Kumoko appeared before the other reincarnators. Sophia was already too much for the rest, yet Kumoko/Wakaba is someone Sophia calls her master. Kumoko's serene behavior and the faint smile also reflected how nothing going on there would be of any danger to her.

But man... That Potimas terminator and a mountain of clones. That nasty dude keeps surprising.

So, is this going to be continued?

The first PV for this season came out in 2018. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Might be one of these cases like DRRR, Ippo, or Chihayafuru S2-S3 where we ended up with at least a 5 year gap.

Or we never get one, because like most anime it was to drum up sales for the LNs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The "Girl in White" doesn't act differently from what we've seen. There's that savage smirk when she kills Julius' party off.

She never shuts up internally, but never speaks externally.
    I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't fly. Even if she doesn't talk, she still EMOTES like a huge goofball. During her fight with Potimas, she was doing goofy dances every time she gets a solid hit in.

But then, when she's "The White Lady, she's reserved, verbally AND physically. Again for seemingly no reason other than to mislead the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    She's actually still the same, deep down, but since she's now a part of an organisation and is aware of the demon lord being able to destroy her, she's toning down her external behavior. Perhaps having humanoid parts, and later a fully humanoid body, actually also makes her behave more like a human in general.
    If that's the case, why does having Kumoko in her head make Ariel act like a goofball?

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The first PV for this season came out in 2018. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Might be one of these cases like DRRR, Ippo, or Chihayafuru S2-S3 where we ended up with at least a 5 year gap.

Or we never get one, because like most anime it was to drum up sales for the LNs.
    Unless there's a massive surprise in the scenario and the author(s) are God level, I do not see how the story can be appealing/enjoyable from this point forward.
    But if another season happens, I'll check and see wether I can be surprised in a good way.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    If that's the case, why does having Kumoko in her head make Ariel act like a goofball?
    For who knows how many centuries Ariel has been doing whatever she wants as the demon lord, with nobody in any position to tell her otherwise. Now she has got a broken personality after the alien mind was forcefully fused with hers. It makes sense her inhibitions are lacking. She's like an intoxicated person.

I just don't see why Kumoko would have those inhibitions either, after the way she's been living.

She lived far longer as a normal, quiet high school girl. As a spider monster, she behaved more like a gamer, but that was under those different circumstances, being separate from a civilisation. Even when she started to hang around the city, she was still nothing but a monster, and she knew it, with no means of communication with the humans. How long was she a spider before reaching the arachne point? Not even a year. If the reincarnators had suddenly been returned to Japan back into their 100% normal human bodies, I doubt Wakaba would have continued to act so wildly and willfully either. In other words, she didn't really change, she just returned closer to what she used to be before the be-a-monster vacation.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Just saw the final ep, and now the pieces have all fallen together, timeline wise. I agree that there aren't any more entertaining story threads (pardon the pun) to explore, by the looks of it. I guess the current timeline battle could shake things up a bit. Not begging for one, but is there any mention of another season?

There should at least be an OVA or movie to wrap it up :>