Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

I enjoyed the first episode a lot, despite being utterly spoiled by asshole comments on manga sites (so I will obviously be refraining from speculating on plot or developments). That said, it doesn't reduce my enjoyment in this case, and has me looking forward to a lot of stuff based on the OP.

The acceleration of pacing over the manga will be welcome. That fight against the frog would have been months of chapters.

Seriously...so many asshole LN readers on manga adaptation comment sections the last few years. "Guessing" at the plot. Slime Tensei was spoiled for me the same way, again, thankfully without diminishing my enjoyment.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Months of fighting the frog? Inspired by Dark Souls.

Thankfully that isn't the case here.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I enjoyed the first episode a lot, despite being utterly spoiled by asshole comments on manga sites (so I will obviously be refraining from speculating on plot or developments). That said, it doesn't reduce my enjoyment in this case, and has me looking forward to a lot of stuff based on the OP.

The acceleration of pacing over the manga will be welcome. That fight against the frog would have been months of chapters.

Seriously...so many asshole LN readers on manga adaptation comment sections the last few years. "Guessing" at the plot. Slime Tensei was spoiled for me the same way, again, thankfully without diminishing my enjoyment.
    I haven't been reading many mangas, and honestly never a manga adaptation of a light novel that I recall, but it's the same with One-Punch Man with the Murata remake. Thankfully, there's not much to spoil there other than creating anticipation for things to come.

But yeah, outside of forums where things are usually better controlled, the net is littered spoilers everywhere and as you say, particularly in the comment sections of chapter releases of a manga.

I've seen a lot of talk about fighting the frog, but I honestly don't recall the fight from the LN lol.

@Buff:
    The manga is published in half-chapters, monthly. The fights are very detailed. Like Munsu said, it's a LitRPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    I haven't been reading many mangas, and honestly never a manga adaptation of a light novel that I recall, but it's the same with One-Punch Man with the Murata remake. Thankfully, there's not much to spoil there other than creating anticipation for things to come.

But yeah, outside of forums where things are usually better controlled, the net is littered spoilers everywhere and as you say, particularly in the comment sections of chapter releases of a manga.

I've seen a lot of talk about fighting the frog, but I honestly don't recall the fight from the LN lol.
    Tbh even that is too much of a spoiler for me >___<

But yeah, spoilers suck, especially when they're random and you cant defend against. I'm reading the Baby Steps manga that is still in the process of being translated and there were a few close calls. Fortunately the community is nice and puts warnings in the comments, like "be careful, someone spoils something below".

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Tbh even that is too much of a spoiler for me >___<

But yeah, spoilers suck, especially when they're random and you cant defend against. I'm reading the Baby Steps manga that is still in the process of being translated and there were a few close calls. Fortunately the community is nice and puts warnings in the comments, like "be careful, someone spoils something below".
    I meant more in that One-Punch Man I don't care too much about the plot, so there's not much to spoil for me... I try not to enter the comments section much regardless. But in general I agree. More of a comment of how I view that particular series than resembling my stance about spoilers.

I know some blatantly spoil, even being sneaky about it, but since becoming a LN reader and having an awareness on how much I hate spoiling, it's honestly a difficult balancing act when discussing something and trying not to give too much away.

Thankfully, most of the things I discuss anime wise I've read the source material quite a while back, so many details of the beginning are a blur to me, so it's like watching something new for the first time.

It was quite tough in GW in the early years when we had more manga readers around, with Naruto/Bleach in particular. Though we've been a bit more laid back in recent years, we really do have some of the strictest spoiler rules around. I mean, in theory we don't even allow spoilers within spoiler tags, or warnings, or changing font colors, etc... just have to be careful on how we phrase things and discuss things.

Hah, I remember those times. But it worked surprisingly well. I don't think I was ever spoiled Naruto by a manga reader. Unless they were sneaky enough to "predict" stuff. ;>

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    I don't think I was ever spoiled Naruto by a manga reader. Unless they were sneaky enough to "predict" stuff.
    I remember all those predictions about Black Zetsu being a thousand year old alien lady...

Episode 2:

Didn't enjoy it as much as the first episode, and have a bit of a gripe with the change in personality of the main character vs. the light novel from what I can recall. Here we have a seeming happy kind of character, but in the LN her personality wasn't that energetic at all (though her narration was a bit). Instead she was very sarcastic about things and how she viewed everything, also she suffered from more stress. Also, they removed her signature catch-phrase which she used often "nai wa"... at least I haven't heard it yet.

We're rushing through the grind so far, probably that is inevitable, but we don't get a sense of he struggles so far. Hopefully this pace works for the best.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    If this grind ends up any slower I'd kill myself. I'm happy with this pace as an anime watcher.

I think I heard "nai wa" at least once this episode, but it could have been the OP/ED. It's certainly not "-datebayo" frequency. I too enjoyed this slightly less than the previous episode, but it's hard to say if that's because we're covering similar ground to ep1, or if I'm viewing this in comparison to other series.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Just more the glossing over of he struggles more than anything, but it's inevitable.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    We got a better understanding of who's who, where they're from and how they are.
    All in all the 'social structure' of the previous world/classroom has been kept in the new world. I'm not even sure the chibby dragon is an exception.

What feels strange is the contrast beetween our MC past life behaviour/character and now that she's a spider.
    Or it might just be my interpretation of the two or three short scenes we've had from a past life.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Maybe I should check the early manga chapters to see if she was so happy-go-lucky over there as well. However, she certainly wasn't any giant of intelligence, if memory serves, so maybe this is fitting in that sense, regardless of nuances. That being said, she's learning even in this anime. It's either learn or die, so of course she would be learning.

It's pretty funny to even suggest evolving routes to the pet dragon. Kumo needed to go through 10 level ups to get the first chance. Unless the dragon evolves just by eating and growing up, with no exp gain, I don't see how she's going to evolve at all by being a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Maybe I should check the early manga chapters to see if she was so happy-go-lucky over there as well. However, she certainly wasn't any giant of intelligence, if memory serves, so maybe this is fitting in that sense, regardless of nuances. That being said, she's learning even in this anime. It's either learn or die, so of course she would be learning.

It's pretty funny to even suggest evolving routes to the pet dragon. Kumo needed to go through 10 level ups to get the first chance. Unless the dragon evolves just by eating and growing up, with no exp gain, I don't see how she's going to evolve at all by being a pet.
    If you do, report back... maybe what's missing for me is the sarcastic aspect. I mean, I do recall her in the beginning being energetic at times, and also being pumped up with the whole RPG aspect of this life, but it was counter-balanced with the sarcasm and struggles she faces. Maybe missing those elements just lets us see the "happy" moments without much consequence or reflection when things don't go her way... and maybe some self-deprecating humor or astonishment at all the shit she has to face (here's where her missing catch-phrase usually comes in)? I mean, she often just says fuck it and goes with the flow, but not so cheerful about it I believe.

But honestly, I don't recall my earlier impressions all that well, maybe this idea of her is more influenced by the more recent volumes. But regardless, if she's that happy-go-lucky or not, the other missing aspects that I feel counter-balance that I think are missing.

Or I can be talking out of my ass have it all wrong, who knows!?

Regardless, I like that we're seeing violent action.

And yeah, have to wonder how the pet dragon will level up... since she's just being lazy there. Regardless have to wonder, if they're a higher being, if they'll require more XP than a spider to level up and evolve.

I reread a few early chapters of the manga and, honestly, it's quite difficult to say. She's not that different, but it feels like there's more tomfoolery in the anime. However, that might simply be the result of the anime being animated and voiced. Different media alone could affect the impression somewhat. Still, regardless of the reason, it does seem like Kumo in the anime might be a little bit happy-go-luckier.

I reread a few early chapters of the manga and, honestly, it's quite difficult to say. She's not that different, but it feels like there's more tomfoolery in the anime. However, that might simply be the result of the anime being animated and voiced. Different media alone could affect the impression somewhat. Still, regardless of the reason, it does seem like Kumo in the anime might be a little bit happy-go-luckier.
    Yeah, I think you pinpointed the issue... like she's coming off like more of a ditz. And it's like we're seeing just about every stray thought she has expressed. But whatever, not going to dwell much on that from now on, I'm sure once things get more heated some of that should be restrained... I think. But I miss some of the sarcasm, that's part of what made her a great narrating voice.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Haven't started this season of Slime, but the two eps of this definitely feel adjacent in tone. Nothing too serious except for the snake battle, so the tension is low, but still enjoyable. I've more or less come to terms with the CGI. I hope she doesn't meet her classmates for a while, as there is no decent context to do so. I also like that the dragon is a bit repentant of her bullying, and her idle mind has drawn a karmaic connection to her pet-status, whether it be true or not.

Other students don't seem evil, and just living their best life now, along with elf sensei. So the isekai extended to everyone in that classroom, specifically? That seems so contrived, I would rather it not be explained going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    I also like that the dragon is a bit repentant of her bullying, and her idle mind has drawn a karmaic connection to her pet-status, whether it be true or not.
    That's kind of... "Oh, no! I was reborn as a dragon! Woe is me! Dragons are often the most powerful species in traditional fantasy and folklore, sometimes even worshipped as gods. This must be a punishment for the sins of my previous life!" If she wasn't a pet, she would live in the wilderness or a dungeon, so you might say the pet status is a big plus, although not for level ups. All in all her lamenting was nothing but self-pity, not even regret, if you ask me.

"Oh, no! I was reborn as a dragon! Woe is me! Dragons are often the most powerful species in traditional fantasy and folklore, sometimes even worshipped as gods."
    Unlike the MC, she doesn't strike me as the kind of character that would be well versed in fantasy tropes. The stuck up mean girl probably doesn't play a ton of DraQue.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Unlike the MC, she doesn't strike me as the kind of character that would be well versed in fantasy tropes. The stuck up mean girl probably doesn't play a ton of DraQue.
    Haha, true enough! I bet she would have liked to be reborn as a noble daughter, so that she could have been a villainess. She would have loved to bully an innocent commoner girl, who somehow could join an academy traditionally only open for nobles.