Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Also, his nickname sucks. Quagmire is a lame name even without the Family Guy reference.

Like, they all watched him incinerate that army of bears. But instead his nickname is based on the spell he used to hold them in place.
    Quagmire also fits his state of mind, very appropriate.
    Depression is not rational to people around.
    And levels may vary.
    But I understand that grand adventure anime isn't were you want to get many eps with a depressed MC.
    I'd say I have mixed feelings too, at least starting a season on his low. But I totaly understand a story where a MC gets depressed for some time.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    But I understand that grand adventure anime isn't were you want to get many eps with a depressed MC.
    I got my fill of that shit from Re: Zero!

S2 Eps 3

----

This entire arc has been bad. The only good part of this entire episode was the final minute of the episode, post-credits with the return of the slut-elf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Fucking hell.

His leading on Sara.. fine, that's kinda who he is.
    Getting ED.. fine.
    Trying to cure it, makes sense.
    But what irked me was how he bitched about Sara vs Elise. He didn't even feel that way. He said her body was nice. The way I read into it was that it was an artificial way to have him piss her off from a plot point of view, and now he's mopey and doing other shit again. I hate this "one step forward, one step back" thing we've been doing, and even more so when I feel that it doesn't seem to make sense.

lol at slut-elf losing a lead because she used her horniness.

Under normal circumstances, I would have quite liked Sara. Her design is also quite cute. Currently she's just Eris-lite, making her an extra/spare. That means developing her relationship with Rudy is a waste of time (and my time) which irks me. But is also saddens me that she'll also become sad since she's destined to fail unlike the main "harem".

Eris-lite isn't inherently a bad thing. For a real relationship it's nice to have someone who is less extreme, even though unlocking Dere in anime is "worth it".

Sol suddenly becoming Rudy's big brother also felt weird. It's not unfathomable that he's not entirely the abrasive guy he portrays himself to be, but they never showed why he acts the way he does in public, and why he's okay with Rudy now. He was arrogant in general, telling people to not intrude on his quest, telling everyone he's the best team in town, and telling others how much he thinks poorly of them (like towards Arrow's team leader). Just going "right, I shouldn't be so mean" all of a sudden feels forced and random.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 07-23-2023 at 01:38 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

The whole purpose of this arc was to depict Rudeus's depression after he got left behind by Eris, so aside from his growth as a combat mage, which has been happening, he obviously couldn't have really good time. Considering what kind of story this is, it's not so surprising ED would be introduced as a part of Rudeus's problems. To show that, you pretty much needed Sara or something equivalent. I'd say Rudeus badmouthing her wasn't so peculiar either. That's his personality, in the end. It didn't help Sara, after their cancelled night together, told him that she never really cared about him that much and the whole thing was just to pay him back for all the help. That, if anything, should have reminded Rudeus of how Eris broke up with him. So, while still somewhat affected by all the booze, Rudeus let that grudge out of his system.

I could have lived without this arc, for sure. The new characters don't really matter. All of this could have been covered in a single ep, if done wisely, through dialogue and strongly displaying Rudeus's depression visually. I trust showing Elinalise is a sign of the end, especially since we got "future" talk about Rudeus's achievements.

Why is it that right after Vinland Saga pulled the slowest season ever, Mushoku follows that style?

You know, I have enjoyed all episodes of this new season so far, I really did. But I still hate this slow pacing considering we're not getting 52 episodes without break, nah, it's just 12 episodes, then a break, then 12 more episodes. And then probably at least a year before season 3 airs. Ugh.

As for slut elf, I hope Rudy gets to bang her. Let him bang a hot, curvy woman for once.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

I thought Elinalise was kind of flat. Not flat flat, but not curvy.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Rudeus can't lift. Sara takes offense and clearly tries to hurt Rudeus in a way she know will work. They've been together for a long while now. No way it wasn't on purpose.
    Then she gets upset at drunken Rudeus when he doesn't even know she's there ? Okay, Rudeus shouldn't have said that, but he didn't have the intentions Sara had with her words...

Rudeus not being able to lift tells us how strong his depression and PTSD is. You need something powerful to completely erase the libido in an otherwise healthy teenager. No one watching this should underestimate the quagmire he mentally is in.

I'm in the camp of those who liked the ep, I liked Elise and what she brought.
    Sol was maybe a little too different, but I guess he has his reasons to try to help Rudeus. A practical one would be to get a reliable powerful mage, better knowing Rudeus probably helps. And maybe Sol has his reasons to be first so harsh towards Rudeus and then help him when he understands his circumstances.

We were once again shown that Rudeus isn't very strong. I start to doubt it's only because he is still a young teenager. Multiple punches should still hurt. But I have to remember we have demi-humans and people jumping around and fighting mid-air. Even Eris did that.
    So muscle power and resisting multiple punches might be different in that world.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Rudeus can't lift. Sara takes offense and clearly tries to hurt Rudeus in a way she know will work. They've been together for a long while now. No way it wasn't on purpose.
    Then she gets upset at drunken Rudeus when he doesn't even know she's there ? Okay, Rudeus shouldn't have said that, but he didn't have the intentions Sara had with her words...
    Yeah, but see it from her POV. She doesn't know about his issues, so when he couldn't get it up, she probably assumed he wasn't attracted to her.

Then she overhears him saying he doesn't like flat girls like her, that would pretty much confirm it.

Sol was maybe a little too different, but I guess he has his reasons to try to help Rudeus. A practical one would be to get a reliable powerful mage, better knowing Rudeus probably helps. And maybe Sol has his reasons to be first so harsh towards Rudeus and then help him when he understands his circumstances.
    I mean, he made it pretty clear that he didn't like Rudeus' personality. Now he knows that's not his real personality.

S2 Eps 4

"Letter of Invitation" - OR - "A Preponderance of Slutty Elf Moans"

---------

Honestly, really anti-climactic reveal that Zenith is totally fine doing dungeon crawling about a year away on travel and that the other half of Roxy's party will keep her safe until Rudeus' jaunt in High School Drama is over. Especially after the way he's reunited with the rest of his family thus far.

But hey, his plan worked. The Slut Elf found him just fine and gave him a much-needed update on where all the people he cares for happen to be.

I suppose Hitogami's advice was to ensure that he wouldn't miss out on a potential reunion with his childhood love (also the implication of how he will get over his ED). Even with divine advice against doing the "right" thing to reunite the family, it's feels like hamfisted writing and not what the character would actually do. Rudeus barley trusts Hitogami as it stands.

It's also a little hard for me to buy that Rudeus "plateaued" in magic when he can solo a dragon thanks to the years of experience he earned in an environment much harsher than any adventurers he's been with since have or will ever experience. There might be plenty of good swordsmen on the western continents, but not the type who can routinely take down powerful, physically large, and fast monsters like he and Eris learned how. He's still stronger than the average mage will ever be as well, since he knows Saint-Class water magic.

The detail I did like is how scummy the school invitation is. They're basically just calling on famous people to come there so they can later claim to nobles with more money than sense that "Rudeus Grayrat - Saint Class Water mage studied at our fine institution, imagine all the things we taught him that we can also teach your precious child."

I suppose Hitogami's advice was to ensure that he wouldn't miss out on a potential reunion with his childhood love (also the implication of how he will get over his ED). Even with divine advice against doing the "right" thing to reunite the family, it's feels like hamfisted writing and not what the character would actually do. Rudeus barley trusts Hitogami as it stands.
    I feel that he trusts him enough to follow his advice though.

As for his magic, he probably hasn't studied it much since then. He can cast spells quickly, without enchantment and he doesn't seem to be bothered by mana limits during routine use - but I can believe that he hasn't learned anything more groundbreaking since then. His application in battle is still top notch.

I share the kicker about Zenith though. At the end of last season, it seemed like she was trapped underwater in the Labyrinth country.

I'm glad we're finally at the academy. I'm hungry for more info on the world/plot.

Finally, season 2 starts for real next week. At least no time is wasted on the journey which was done nicely as an ending sequence.

Can someone tell Rudeus that you don't NEED a dick to enjoy a hot woman's body btw?! Omg, use your fucking mouth and hands and enjoy Enalisa at least a little bit, you dumbass!!1 >_>

I swear, if he doesn't "enjoy" one of those catgirls I'm gonna cry.

Magic University looks fun, although my mind is still caught up in shitty "Mashle", so it will take 1-2 episodes for me to realize that this is a GOOD magic university.

Although I wonder what crazy magic he's supposed to learn there, because let's be real: Despite Kami telling Rudeus "you've only improved a little", Rudeus absolutely decimated a red dragon with giant, sharp rock shards that he fired like bullets. There can't be many monsters that require more than that to be dealt with. AndI'd assume even if the university does have crazier spells, it wouldn't just tell Rudeus like that.

His mom being a labyrinth adventurer is weird. Kinda feels like there's no need to search anymore.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Although I wonder what crazy magic he's supposed to learn there, because let's be real: Despite Kami telling Rudeus "you've only improved a little", Rudeus absolutely decimated a red dragon with giant, sharp rock shards that he fired like bullets. There can't be many monsters that require more than that to be dealt with. AndI'd assume even if the university does have crazier spells, it wouldn't just tell Rudeus like that.
    If I were him, I'd work on how I can counter someone dispelling my magic. That's how the dragon god nearly killed him.

Erinalise did make a good point about not wanting to be Paul's daughter-in-law or lose Roxy as a friend. Things could get really weird if they banged.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Erinalise did make a good point about not wanting to be Paul's daughter-in-law or lose Roxy as a friend. Things could get really weird if they banged.
    The real reason seemed to be related to Sylphie's pendant, though. My guess was that it's some elven vow between lovers and that's why Elinalia gave up that easily.

I went back to rewatch the episode where Orsted fought the trio.

1) Man, that was so cool. Orsted just decked Ruijerd.
    2) Orsted used "Magic Dispel" which disrupted Rudy's casting, but then Rudy backed off, and Orsted had summoned a shield instead of using Disrupt, so I wonder if Disrupt has a physical range.
    3) The ep reminded me that Rudy can't cast healing magic without enchantment (and he couldn't enchant because his lungs were destroyed) - so he can start with learning how to enchant without words I guess.
    4) That blue fireball he threw had plenty of destructive power behind it, so I guess the fact that he's not "much more advanced" is also true.

As for this episode, Rudy kept saying that the red dragon was half dead already, but I saw no signs of that.

He also aimed his staff like a rifle, which was interesting.

Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 07-30-2023 at 02:14 PM.

I can't help but feel the deal about Zenith being just fine and working as a dungeon crawling adventurer is a lie, or at least a half-truth, to make Rudeus feel better and keep him away from the place. Hitogami told him he would regret going there. Paul might also know more about it, and doesn't want to potentially lose his son. Perhaps the place is such that you can't get out of the labyrinth before conquering it, and few have ever done it. That could be the whole truth and why Zenith hasn't left the place to be reunited with her little daughter (and husband, I guess, as an afterthought). I trust this story enough for there to be some reason, as otherwise it does feel kind of dodgy that Rudeus would go to school instead of helping her mom, considering that for 2+ years, even since breaking up with Eris, his main priority has been to look for Zenith, even if his method might not have been as smart as he thought.

Regardless, I did like this episode. It's remarkable how little actually happened, yet it was interesting and entertaining, nonetheless.

Seems to me Rudy should learn permanent spells, aka buffs, shields and auto-regen. Stuff that stays with you even when you're not doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    As for this episode, Rudy kept saying that the red dragon was half dead already, but I saw no signs of that.[/img]
    He clearly said that to downplay his own power in fron of the party members.

Edit:

Agree with Kraco about Zenith being well being a half-truth. Maybe she's a labyrinth explorer, alright, but she's being forced to it or has some other stressing reason for it. And we don't know anything about the condition she's in.

Yeah, if Zenith really were fine, you'd think she'd have returned home to look for her family by now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Yeah, if Zenith really were fine, you'd think she'd have returned home to look for her family by now.
    "Screw cooking, washing and handling the children, FEMINISM, bitches!" - Zenith, Labyrinth Adventurer

S2E5

-----------------------

Wait.

So he's got Disturb Magic down, and also healing without incantations?! Good shit.

But... just tell him who you are Sylphy! That's partially why you're doing this (besides "repaying" the princess), and he's already told you he's looking for friends - he just didn't mention your name. And your response was "Oh, go read this book"?

Luke Greyrat called Rudy "forgetful", and I doubt he means he forgot to return the favour for that duel. I'm guessing Sylphy confided in him that Rudy is who she was looking for but somehow she thinks he forgot her?. Really?

I'm surprised Rudy didn't press Cliff more for Eris's whereabouts etc. It'd seem like the natural thing to do. I honestly expected to see a spar between those two this episode.

Now, I don't know if it's a slip-up in the script of not, but Zanoba clearly referred to Fitz as a girl during his classroom introduction (13:06 - "Kanojo")
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 08-06-2023 at 02:55 PM.