254129.jpg

"In an unplanned field trip, Rico is transported to an alternate Japan where metal-based lifeforms known as Mimesis ravage the world. Only girls equipped with LBX armored weaponry can stand up to this scourge. Joined by four other displaced young women, Rico will have to adapt to save humanity. The hope of a planet now rests on these heavy metal soldiers who desire one wish—to return home again!

Source: funimation"

Genre(s): Action, dystopia, moe, mecha?

Tonally, a strange show that is a bit too moe-blob to gel with the grimm scenario. Usually, in "sanctioned girls fight monsters" shows, the girls are keeping the enemy at bay in a perpetual stalemate, but here it feels like humanity is slowly but surely losing... Actually, take a step back and this all began when a decidedly non-otaku high school girl touching a dorky mecha figurine and getting transported to the Muv-Luv like dystopian alternate earth? Did I just accidentally watch an isekai? Stranger still, is a back-to-back transformation scene that lasted approximately seven minutes of the first episode's run time, if I recall correctly. I may have zoned out and got the time wrong, but it sure felt like seven minutes of me thinking "is this really just transformation scenes"? My hope going forward is that this story will randomly turn into something a bit more unique, as this smells like a property created to promote the sales of figures- suggesting full creative license, I hope. Since there were a few tactical considerations hinted at (ammunition, supplies for the suits), I'm hoping for some less fantastical mech (like suit) versus bug action once Rico gets up to speed with her new squad.