Thread: Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi

270610.jpg

"The isolationist Akane Clan, composed of an all-girls body mainly consisting of young kunoichi in training, has a code to which they all must adhere:

As men are dangerous beings, interacting with them is forbidden.

Kunoichi Tsubaki, the leader of the Dog Squad, is an excellent trainee with a promising future, but she has started to experience a strange feeling in her heart... whenever the subject of boys is brought up.

Source: M-U"

Genre(s): Slice of life, comedy, action

1-3

Fun. Girl ninjas living their lives at ninja school while making fun of hairy primate-like men that they've only heard legend of. One is very curious about the prospect of boys and struggles with it as she also has to keep the problem children in her team in check. The stories are simple and sometimes cute, and there is an effort to have at least one fight/action set piece per episode- I ain't complainin'.

A side note: this may be delayed by a few more years than I thought it would, but this is feels like a viable example of just how much Naruto influenced 'anime' portrayals of ninjas. Many elements, including the hidden village, attire, and even the fight choreography and 'jutsus' ape the 4th Hokage's son to an extent. Honestly, I figured we would have reached full saturation a decade ago, but not a ton of ninja series air currently, compared to the genres we complain about.

4-5

So the mystery has been revealed; guys aren't so bad after all... unless you're trying to sustain a very traditional cottage industry of raising ninjas. Curious if there will be any appreciable payoff to this revelation by the end of this season.

The healer girl's real power being... available was cute. I like seeing the other girls and their quirks, and segments like this is a good way to let the audience 'stew' in them long enough to build little connections that will hopefully grow to endearment later.

8-9

Fun how boar team is just straight up dumb. Strong, but not bright.

Gal kunoichi is something I never knew I was missing from my life... adorable.

More cute overload. What makes this special is how each team has formed (or been formed around) its strange symbiosis of personalities. In this episode, The leader of Team rat, Tachiaoi, has the tried and true aversion to responsibility, wondering if her leadership style is any more effective than a Dilbert comic strip. The serendipity that makes it so is that her (anyone's) natural response to the two extremes of her kouhai's suggestions being a compromise in the middle happens to be the correct course of action to take. It shouldn't be so easy, but it just works that way and the drama of the scene isn't entirely laid upon that revelation and so avoids the pitfall of a boring resolution. They get some small growth and the opportunity to be cute at the same time, which is harder than you might think.

Benisumomo's babysitting, peppered with more ninja subterfuge, was a good time as well, if only to remind me how cute the character designs are. Even a little bonus borderline 'ara ara' after the end credits.

Also, I might have to check to be sure, but I think each episode might have a unique ED featuring the squad from that episode, most showcasing at least one new one. If so, that's impressive.

The more I watch, the more this reminds me of Girls und Panzer in the structure of the girl units' distinct personalities carrying the show; and that's a high compliment.

More HNNNNNGGG than you can shake a stick at. The teasing was strong, as Sōichirō Yamamoto is oft to do.

Next episode preview suggests there will be a conflict with a man next episode... I'll believe it when I see it.