Thread: Machikado Mazoku

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Machikado Mazoku

Alternative title:
    The Demon Girl Next Door
    まちカドまぞく

Genres: comedy, magic

Themes: magical girl, moe

Plot Summary: Yūko Yoshida is a 15-year-old girl who awakens one morning with demonic power, and is tasked with defeating a local magical girl. She has horns and a tail, but truthfully less power than an ordinary girl. She struggles to lift the "curse of a 40,000 yen (about US$365) per month living."

Links: ANN, MAL

There's a whole S1, and S2 is up to Ep 5.

----------------------------------------------------------

One of the most wholesome anime I've seen in ages.

Shamiko is endearing, and Momo is someone you want to see rescued from whatever dark place she's been to.

The horn handles have made a return too.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

The big draw here is that Shamiko is such a failure of a demon queen that she succeeds in her goals anyway.

The ensemble really sells the appeal of this show.

Also that literally the entire town plays it straight and just instantly accepts that a girl grew horns and a tail overnight with the same level of enthusiasm one would do to a person that got a fresh haircut of the same style they had before. My personal favorite detail would be their teacher addressing Yuko as "Shadow Mistress" (Shadow Mistress Yuko) without any irony, sarcasm, or doubt. Just completely supportive of her students in all their endeavors.

There's a lot more going on in their town than the viewer initially believes, and we mostly share Shamiko's POV on it. The consistency of the details are all there, so the gags and the reveals work very seamlessly.

S02E06

--------------------------

"I'm using your brain right now so I can't explain very well."

"Best way to stop someone going to the dark side is a friendship beam." -certain masterpieces

This shit is brilliant.

I rewatched Shamiko faceplant in front of the memory door and Sakura a half-dozen times.

Momo and Shamiko's transformation music that's also used for the preview was wormed its way in as one my favorite BGM music tracks in a long time. It's supremely upbeat.

Somewhat of an unexpected development that Sakura's core is still within Shamiko keeping her alive even to this day. I guess she really is in significantly dire circumstances. It's her charisma that is finally breaking the stalemate of the curse.

I've also loved the other little details this series casually throws in there, like Mikan quite seriously putting citrus on everything and using it for everything, as well as Occult Club Ogura being able to tell when Lilith is possessing Shamiko (and immediately losing interest in whatever her plan to experiment on Shamiko for the moment).

Oh yeah...and what curse was Momo under that Shamiko took on, nearly killing her? It's not the family one.

Oh yeah...and what curse was Momo under that Shamiko took on, nearly killing her? It's not the family one.
    I think that's new information, not sure.

I was worried Lico would get annoying after a few episodes, but it is actually refreshing to see a partially reformed, but originally fully evil huli jing. She lives up to the mythology she is based on.

It completes the picture of the pathetically weak but kind-hearted demonkind and the menacingly powerful magical girls.

Don't think this means you've won..

When she know how hard Shamiko is losing whenever she says this, we know Momo was completely defeated by fluffiness.

Not only are the magical girls powerful, but we're now told that the Light clan treat them as hunters and reward them for every demon they kill. The only exposure we have to them so far is a silent frog and a seemingly senile cat, but these guys must be quite powerful to grant wishes and seem to have a beef with demons.