Thread: Pon no Michi

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Pon no Michi

293976.jpg

"After being ejected from her home, Jippensha Nashiko, a high school student in Onomichi City, Hiroshima Prefecture, found herself in danger. She stated, "I don't have a place to hang out with my friends..." Naoko made the decision to renovate her father's former parlor into a gathering spot as soon as she discovered it was empty.

Source: bilibili"

Genre(s): Game/Sport, Slice of Life

Research

My greatest disappointment here is that I don't think I learned much about Mahjong as a game! It briefly explained the objective of the game, but nothing of its turn structure or game flow. Oh well. Cute girls doing mahjong and aren't afraid to jokingly reference Akagi. It hasn't grown into anything yet, but it does have comfy vibes and decent animation (and some nice character designs). Put it on your pile of things maybe worth checking out.

Oh, Mahjong and referencing Akagi? Will try now!

Edit:

Episode 1: Ok, didn't expect that magical creature. So there's magic in this anime, alright. Also: All the girls have massive boobs, lol. Was kinda conspicuous. Not an issue though ;>

Was fun, episode went by quickly. I only wish they'd have explained Mahjong more properly. I still don't understand why there some titles in staple that are upside down, but one is face up. At least now I know: The goal of mahjong is to collect 14 tiles, 4x3 and a pair. Trying to remember that, because for as much as I love Akagi, i've never learned the rules.
    Last edited by MFauli; Wed, 01-10-2024 at 11:36 AM.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Not catching my interest as they still focus more on cute girls faffing about and jokes rather than engaging with the strategy or gameplay of Mahjong, but to Pon no Michi's credit it does have a pretty funny troll sub available under the label "MahjongSoulless" if you want some irreverent fun and 'cute girls saying horrible things'.

Ok, had to quit the episode midway. Is "MahjongSoulless" a racist subber? The sub not only makes up bs like "Don't worry, I play Protoss", when in Japanese she simply says "I'm not good". But then also uses words like "niggatry" and "chimped around".

Maybe I'll give another subber a try, but wow, this turned me off a lot. Making up stuff AND being racist. Oof.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Dunno if racist or simply generally offensive, but yes, they are not good subs if you are watching this for the original intent/good translation. Troll/meme subs. I mentioned them because I accidentally watched theirs and did get quite a few chuckles out of 'em before I put 2+2 together.

The show's content itself still didn't hold my attention, even buried among some offensive lines.