Thread: Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi

281644.jpg

"* Based on an isekai fantasy light novel series written by Eguchi Ren and illustrated by Masa.

Mukouda Tsuyoshi was nothing special in modern Japan, so when he was summoned to a world of swordplay and sorcery, he thought he was ready for the adventure of a lifetime. Too bad the kingdom that summoned him only got him by mistake! Not only was he not one of the three summoned heroes, but his stats were laughable compared to theirs. On top of that, there's something really sketchy about this kingdom... "Ah, these people are the kind to try and use the Hero," he realized, and immediately left to make his own way in this other world. The only thing Mukouda can rely on is his unique skill: the "Online Supermarket," a skill that allows him to buy modern goods in a fantasy world. It's useless for combat, but if he plays his cards right, he could lead a comfortable life, maybe? At least, that's what Mukouda thinks, but it turns out modern food bought with this skill has some absurd effects! What happens when Mukouda introduces ridiculously tasty modern cooking to a fantasy world like this? He gets some ridiculous repeat customers begging for more...!

Source: J-Novel"

Genre(s): Isekai, Cooking, Comedy

https://subsplease.org/shows/tondemo...-hourou-meshi/

1-2

Isekai that veer into the more esoteric are the only ones that can hope to sustain my attention these days, and Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi is doing just that by mixing cooking and adventuring... sort of. While the premise of modern cuisine being experienced by underdeveloped fantasy denizens is similar to Isekai Shokudō from a few years back, the laid back atmosphere there is changed for a standard economic quest of self sustainment, complete with currency exchange rates and traveler's fees, powered by the imbalanced skill of... magical amazon grocery shopping. ...Let's just drop the pretext and assume this is a foodgasm show to make things simpler, shall we?

The introduction itself was interesting enough (as they typically are in Isekai), with Mukouda getting summoned with some other more hero-ish types and immediately dismissed, because being a main character in isekai can't happen unless you are undervalued by your peers and society as a whole. Blech. What kept me going was the kind, average joe adventuring party hired by Mukouda to defend him on his way to another country where he would like to set up shop. They had some real chemistry and fed into the good-natured tone of the show, pardon the pun. The cooking and eating scenes are just as fun for me as in any cooking show (CG meat and sauce look surprisingly good) and got even better with the tension of the Fenrir wolf demanding a plate (or six) of this marinated pork. While the sudden contract may have drained all of the tension from the show, Fel (Fenrir's given name) makes a good companion character and sustains some misdirect intrigue while the show sets up for future foodies to join.

If you like cooking and don't care what form it comes in, you might be pleasantly surprised by this one.

It's basically Isekai Slice of Life for me at this point, and just like the main character, I hope he doesn't get too involved with royalty and "big" stuff. Really fun and relaxing to watch.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

I really like that they address, "What if I use my OP power in public, won't local lords want to exploit me?!"

A topic that most isekai pretend doesn't exist, a few do and often not well, and rarely as a repeated focus.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    True, he must be a cynic (and is clearly older than the other heroes) to see that rocking the boat catches attention, and attentions is not always what you want.

Episode 4:

Fun to watch, but wow, there's zero plot so far. At least next episode we get to see the goddess. Come on, make her fall for you, hero!

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    My guess is the Godess will be another glutton to feed.
    Somehow our MC is a slave cook in another world...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Bookstore owner was a real asshole. "Maps are nationally restricted data," but you can buy them cheap at the guilds.

Hard for me to blame the scammers when someone even worse like that exists.

This has been shaping up to be not just one of the best isekai of the season, but one of the best shows of the season.

A bit surprised that they've taken this long to have the other three goddesses appear, considering they appear to be major supporting characters.

But goddamn if every guild receptionist isn't immensely cute. As is the slime. Even before Sui got a voice, the little heart emoticon projected within it was deeply endearing.

Why best show ?
    There's a bit of character dev, but for the most part it's just a guy sweating his arse off feeding his familiars in another world.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    This has been shaping up to be not just one of the best isekai of the season, but one of the best shows of the season.

:|

It's a mid show at best. Way too much cooking, no plot development, just going nowhere. Which is frustrating, because there was potential for a good story.

Because it is drastically more consistent and considerate in its worldbuilding than any of its peers this season. The art is always good, it doesn't undermine itself. The main characters are thoughtful and creative, and while he has a very busted "cheat" skill, he's using it judiciously and carefully. It's not something that solves problems for him. He solves issues using things from the world he's in, and is mostly bribing others with food.

Bonus points for not being a trash harem.

The worldbuilding is slow, methodical, and careful, like Restaurant in Another World instead of slapdash make it up as you go along.

In other words, it is one of only two isekai that are actually competently made and written this season. The other is Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei (the yuri isekai).

True, but only because there's nothing better. By contrast it's better.