Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

What Book(s) are you reading?

T-Sawyer!
    H-Finn!
    lol, i decided to revisit these books for fun now that i can fully comprehend them (last time i read one of these, i was in 6th grade)

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

T-Sawyer and H-Finn are great books, God it's been so long since I read those. I should reread them again as I too didn't understand jack crap at that age....

one of the best books I read was in 8th grade, The Giver.

Another one in that time was "The Hatchet"....

I'm curently reading for fun Infinite Jest, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, A Farewell to Arms and The Dharma Bums. I pick up whatever feels interesting when I go to bed, good times.
    When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. ~Elizabeth West, Hovel in theHills

Pooh and the Philosophers. In which it is shown that all of Western Philosophy is merely a preamble to Winnie-The-Pooh
    By John Tyerman Williams

It's an extremely humerous and fun read.

Orson Scott Card

Really good author of Sci-fi and other genres. He created the Ender series, like Enders game, which started it all, he also was the author of that video game (forgot the game name). He also had a deal with Steven Speilberg to create the Ender movie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. In Enders Game, its about Genius's being used by the government to fight an alien species called the Buggers (yah I know) but Ender is chosen to join the IF (which is like a military thingy), so he joins, and he becomes like the top best. But through out the book, it shows alot of human emotions and how the kids are being used like tools and how ender tries to defeat the system, and through out the whole book you will realize why its called Enders Game. His brother is a jealous evil man, while his sister loves him the most, and his brother (Peter Wiggin) thinks that his parents including his sister (Valentine) love ender more than him, so he creates like an evil murder side of himself. I really recommend this author to you guys, really good series, he also created different other series, like the Tales of Alvin Maker, and The Earth Series. GET THE ENDER BOOK!
    No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you when he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher."
    -Mazer Rackham

Originally posted by: EpyonNext
    Pooh and the Philosophers. In which it is shown that all of Western Philosophy is merely a preamble to Winnie-The-Pooh
    By John Tyerman Williams

It's an extremely humerous and fun read.
    Lol, if you liked that one you should really read The Tao of Pooh. It's a really short but actually pretty good book and how Winnie the Pooh is the perfect example of Taoist philosophy. I learned a lot about Tao when I read it too.

@ Paulyboy: Yeah, the Ender series was good, I enjoyed those books best out of all that Card has written.

I just reread The Truth, by Terry Pratchett, and it was good.

Right now im reading Hannibal which didnt live up to the hype for me. Sure its good but its not great. I agree that Ludlum is a good author whoever mentioned it. Everyone who hasnt go grab Fahrenheit 451its an awsome book. Hmm yeah The Da'Vinci Code wasnt that great but i reccomend it to those who are just getting into reading as its a really easy read. Hmm for those who like fantasy go for The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It takes a lot of heat from some readers because he "focuses on the wrong thing" i.e. he'll write a page about a dress and a paragraph about a sword fight. The joke is this doesnt happen often if ever in the series and even if it did theres a lot more to describe about a dress then a real swordfight. Those dont last long. Anyways,.... i dont know what im replying to at this point.

Originally posted by: TruthofMistake
    Hmm yeah The Da'Vinci Code wasnt that great but i reccomend it to those who are just getting into reading as its a really easy read.
    I really don't recommend reading this book just cause it's really shitty and a waste of time. What's sad is that I actually bought this book at an airport. Yes, I regretted paying for it after I finished reading.

Originally posted by: ES
    Rereading The Vampire Lestat and just finished Angels and Demons a few weeks ago...
    I used to love Anne Rice's vampire chronicles. The last one I read was Blackwood Farm (I think). It was okay.

Anyway, my fav. book of all time is The Little Prince, by Antoine De Saint-Exupery.
    [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Blackwood Farm is a good book and the one ofthe last ones I believe. Of all the chronicles, perhaps my fave was Lestat and Memnoch the Devil due to the mythos between God and the devil.

"The game" by Neil Strauss a.k.a. Style. On the cover it says "penetrating the secret society of pickup artist" this sums up the content of the book pretty well. Basically the book is about the authors journey from being a guy that has no skills with women what so ever to becoming one of the best and most respected pickup artists in the world. You don't really need to belive anything that is written in the book to be able to enjoy it. It's still an awesome piece of litterature that can be read as fiction and it is extremely funny as well. But if you do belive what it says though, it will totally blow your mind.

A friend lent this to me and was all like, "dude your life won't be the same after you read this" and I was like "Pffft what ever". I coudn't have been more wrong. Seriously this book has altered my view of the world and relations between people, and I'm only half way through it.

In my opinion all men should read this book. I don't think women will be able to enjoy it on the same level, since alot of things you have to be man to comprehend.

Making out in Japanese. Revised Edition.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

The Master and Margarita. Mikhail Bulgakov. Editorial review:
    Surely no stranger work exists in the annals of protest literature than The Master and Margarita. Written during the Soviet crackdown of the 1930s, when Mikhail Bulgakov's works were effectively banned, it wraps its anti-Stalinist message in a complex allegory of good and evil. Or would that be the other way around? The book's chief character is Satan, who appears in the guise of a foreigner and self-proclaimed black magician named Woland. Accompanied by a talking black tomcat and a "translator" wearing a jockey's cap and cracked pince-nez, Woland wreaks havoc throughout literary Moscow. First he predicts that the head of noted editor Berlioz will be cut off; when it is, he appropriates Berlioz's apartment. (A puzzled relative receives the following telegram: "Have just been run over by streetcar at Patriarch's Ponds funeral Friday three afternoon come Berlioz.") Woland and his minions transport one bureaucrat to Yalta, make another one disappear entirely except for his suit, and frighten several others so badly that they end up in a psychiatric hospital. In fact, it seems half of Moscow shows up in the bin, demanding to be placed in a locked cell for protection.

Meanwhile, a few doors down in the hospital lives the true object of Woland's visit: the author of an unpublished novel about Pontius Pilate. This Master--as he calls himself--has been driven mad by rejection, broken not only by editors' harsh criticism of his novel but, Bulgakov suggests, by political persecution as well. Yet Pilate's story becomes a kind of parallel narrative, appearing in different forms throughout Bulgakov's novel: as a manuscript read by the Master's indefatigable love, Margarita, as a scene dreamed by the poet--and fellow lunatic--Ivan Homeless, and even as a story told by Woland himself. Since we see this narrative from so many different points of view, who is truly its author? Given that the Master's novel and this one end the same way, are they in fact the same book? These are only a few of the many questions Bulgakov provokes, in a novel that reads like a set of infinitely nested Russian dolls: inside one narrative there is another, and then another, and yet another. His devil is not only entertaining, he is necessary: "What would your good be doing if there were no evil, and what would the earth look like if shadows disappeared from it?"
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,
    The 12 Kingdoms, and Soukou no Strain (kinda)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#blood-scanlations~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

someone suggest a few good ww2 spy novels....I've recently been reading alot of Allistar Maclean (author of The Guns of Navarone), and i absolutely love the characters he creates, although all his protagonists are quite similar.

Still, anyhthing resembling his work, or any other ww2/spy novel would be great.

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar
    I just finished Eldest again and started reading the Ender's series. Im done with Ender's Game, and waiting to get Speaker for the Dead.

I am reading Snow Crash.

Its about a Ninja, Pizza Delevery man, Hacker. Yes its that good.

I am reading the series by Carol Berg called The Bridge of D'Arnath. I have to read book 3 and 4 still.

I am aslo reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, and Shadow of The Giant, by Orson Scott Card.

Upstate, south side, west region, east of the 7-11.
    I am going to read the new book thats coming out for diablo 2 LOD. Also it seems "a child called it" is good from the review ghostkage gave. I also finished reading the cantebury tales for engish 12

Made by IFHTT
    “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves.” Pope John Paul II

Right now im reading Farewell to Arms in my English Pre AP class and its an alright book by Earnest Hemmingway. Like everyone reads that in High School. Its about a soldier who is like a loner but then changes for a nurse and becomes more passionate.

@Darkmetal505: Enders series is kickass, you should also read the Tales of Alvin, its the same author Orson Scott Card and the Earth Series.
    No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you when he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher."
    -Mazer Rackham

the alchemist, 11 minutes, The Devil and Miss Prym , Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho

Iron Man: The Defiant Reign of Jean Chretien - Volume Two --> a biography about Jean Chrétien by Martin, Laurence

and unfortunatly a school book: Summer of my German Soldier <---- horrbile book

i am reading The Odyssey, greek mythology has peaked my interests.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.