Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Missing Nin

Good Books recommend?

if you're into sci-fi in ANYWAY i insist you get alastair reynolds revelation space series (revelation space, chasm city, redemption ark, absolution gap), its superb. its hard sci-fi as its written by a physicist so all the stuff in it is like, plausible but still v futuristic, and he explains a lot of how the stuff works, its v interesting even if ur not a physics geek like me. the characters and storyline are jst mindboggling how they all fit together when you finish the books. seriously, ive not read a book with a better plot yet. its jst too cool! im saving his newest book (absolution gap) for my holiday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] then i can read it uninterrupted on my long plane and train journeys. so yeah, make sure if uve got a spare bit of cash you buy this book. it should be on amazon.co.uk so its available to all amazon sites!!!

Good Books recommend?

Here are some books I've enjoyed, in no particular order:

1. William Gibson: Neuromancer (a classic); Pattern Recognition (his newest, centered around a group of people who post in an online forum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] )

2. Sean Stewart: Ressurection Man; Night Watch

3. Jen Banbury: Like a Hole in the Head

4. Karen Joy Fowler: Sarah Canary

5. Milorad Pavic: Dictionary of the Khazars (odd)

6. Jonathan Lethem: Gun, with Occasional Music

7. Isaac Asimov: I, Robot (enjoying renewed popularity with the movie coming out, too bad the movie looks like it sucks)

8. Terry Pratchett: Small Gods, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (both funny, satire)

9. Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (funny)

10. The Tale of the Heike (classic Japanese samurai tale, lots of wars, betrayals, last minute rescues, acts of the gods, etc)

11. Only Companion, edited by Sam Hamill (poetry I like)

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar

Good Books recommend?

Couldn't agree more with the people who said Dragonlance and RA Salvatore. There was an earlier thread about the strongest wizard ever, Raistlin from the Chronicles and Legends would own them all. My favorite book of all time though has to be Dune. Man, that book has everything including the most intricate plot I've ever had the pleasure of reading, a vididly detailed world, and all the trappings of action and drama you could hope for, all wrapped up in a wonderous science fiction setting.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak