Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Eh, I'm bored. And in need of a good book. Any books you recommend? Any Genre.
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

That place over there........ahh never mind

RE: Good Books recommend?

Read lord of the rings

R.I.P Captain America.

If you like computers and encryption, I suggest you go with Angels and Demons, The Da Vinchi Code, and Digital Fortress all by Dan Brown. All very good books about hacking and encrypting (their fictional stories, their not like guides or anything). Hope I could help.

DragonLance, start with Chronicles or The Legend of Huma.

Originally posted by: Knives122
    Read lord of the rings
    those books are the shit, no one should die before reading them.

if ur into fantasy adventure

Try the "drizzt books"
    bij R.A. Salvatore. they're quite well written.
    it's about an dark elf ( drow) which lives underground ( the underdark ), escaping his evil family and society. trying to find a home and place in the surface world.

you could start with the icewind dale trilogy.
    or the with the dark elf trilogy ( the prequel )

Missing Nin

Good Books recommend?

if you're into sci-fi in ANYWAY i insist you get alastair reynolds revelation space series (revelation space, chasm city, redemption ark, absolution gap), its superb. its hard sci-fi as its written by a physicist so all the stuff in it is like, plausible but still v futuristic, and he explains a lot of how the stuff works, its v interesting even if ur not a physics geek like me. the characters and storyline are jst mindboggling how they all fit together when you finish the books. seriously, ive not read a book with a better plot yet. its jst too cool! im saving his newest book (absolution gap) for my holiday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] then i can read it uninterrupted on my long plane and train journeys. so yeah, make sure if uve got a spare bit of cash you buy this book. it should be on amazon.co.uk so its available to all amazon sites!!!

Good Books recommend?

Here are some books I've enjoyed, in no particular order:

1. William Gibson: Neuromancer (a classic); Pattern Recognition (his newest, centered around a group of people who post in an online forum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] )

2. Sean Stewart: Ressurection Man; Night Watch

3. Jen Banbury: Like a Hole in the Head

4. Karen Joy Fowler: Sarah Canary

5. Milorad Pavic: Dictionary of the Khazars (odd)

6. Jonathan Lethem: Gun, with Occasional Music

7. Isaac Asimov: I, Robot (enjoying renewed popularity with the movie coming out, too bad the movie looks like it sucks)

8. Terry Pratchett: Small Gods, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (both funny, satire)

9. Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (funny)

10. The Tale of the Heike (classic Japanese samurai tale, lots of wars, betrayals, last minute rescues, acts of the gods, etc)

11. Only Companion, edited by Sam Hamill (poetry I like)

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar

Good Books recommend?

Couldn't agree more with the people who said Dragonlance and RA Salvatore. There was an earlier thread about the strongest wizard ever, Raistlin from the Chronicles and Legends would own them all. My favorite book of all time though has to be Dune. Man, that book has everything including the most intricate plot I've ever had the pleasure of reading, a vididly detailed world, and all the trappings of action and drama you could hope for, all wrapped up in a wonderous science fiction setting.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

wow really? imma start reading that book

Hmm. Didn't like Dune. But I'll give DragonLance a try. I heard their as good or better than Merlin series. But newer.

I just finished reading the Hannibal Lector Trilogy.

LOTR, urgh.. too descriptive. Wasn't as enjoyable as the movie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

Douglas Adams was a genius the hicthikers Guide to the Galaxy is so funny,i have never laugh so much at a book.

I gonna start mission Adams meaning reading all of Douglas Adams books[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway i recomend Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas if you havent read it.

Any Tom Clancy book is good if you like spy books.

If you've read the Lord of the Rings or seen the movies already, read The Hobbit which is the prelude to the lord of the rings.

Missing Nin

yeah the hobbit is good

I agree with Krbadass and r3n, The Hobbit is a great book. Also, I really liked these: (1) The Catcher in the Rye and (2) Seabiscuit
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Horray! a thread about books!!!

anyway, some of my favorites:

the Tales of the Otori series -Lian Hearn
    an excellent fantasy/samurai trilogy, that takes place in feudal japan.

Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins
    or anything by Tom Robbins, really. I love reading his books - the plots are always outlandish, and hilarious, and his language is incredibly descriptive. One particular metaphor sticks out in my mind: "her panties were so wet, children could of sailed boats in them". but don't get the wrong idea - sex is only a small part of his books.

The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russel
    scifi book abut a Jesuit mission to the alien planet rakhat. the scifi aspect of the novel itself is not all that impressive -The story, though is pretty enthralling. it reminded me a lot of the later books of the Ender's Game series - i.e. Speaker for the Dead.

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet! I read first when I was 11 - and iIstill love it. a scifi novel about ender, a boy sent to a children's military school for geniuses.

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
    as mentioned by mae in some other thread -
    About data encryption, spanning from WWII to the present. funny too. one of my favorite scenes is of a uber-geeky family trying to distribute their dead grandmothers things equally - and set up a giant cartesian plane in a parking lot, x being monetary value of an item, y being the sentimental value.

and of course, LOTR and Hitchikers's guide to the galaxy.

has anyone read the Silmarillion? i couldn't get into it.

everything by mario puzo

Anything by Chuck Paulnick is good. If you like Fight Club movie the book is a hundred times better.

well i read a book called a child called it forgot who the author was, but the book was about the authors life and how he had to sttruggle thru child abuse as he grew up, its a really really good book, there are three parts to it tho, the first one is a child called it, the 2nd is called the lost boy i think, and the 3rd one is called a man named dave

what's a book?