Thread: Naruto: Suikoden rip off?

Naruto: Suikoden rip off?

just been playing through suikoden 2 again on the ps1 and come across a character called Sasuke who lives in a ninja village and looks the spitting image of the one from naruto, also other things seem to coincide with naruto, there is also a leaf acadamy, has the maker of naruto said anything about taking or basing his characters from other sources?

not a bitch, just a little freaky seeing it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Sarutobi Sasuke was a famous ninja from Japan actually... and a lot of ninja things have to do with leaves... about the same looks, it's probably just coincidence.

ARG double-posted... gomen~

RE: Naruto: Suikoden rip off?

not a coincidence.......kishimoto purpose took alot of references from japanese history and mythology
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

i think he meant the leaf academy and stuff were the coincidence.

Actually Suikoden is closer to chinese mythology than japanese, though it of course has lots of japanese references aswell.

And ninjas, leaves & whatnot is hardly something unique. I don't recall the ninja town having an academy however...

But there's a Hanzo & a Sasuke in it. Based on the true ninjas Hanzo Hattori & Sarutobi Sasuke.

*Include 5 pages of japanese story that nobody but Terra cares about here*

Hanzo Hattori.... ok maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but isn't he the swordmaker from Kill Bill?
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

The swordsmith from Kill Bill is ALSO named after the legendary Iga ninja Hattori Hanzo.

As you can tell he is very famous, because his deeds in life (involving leading a large troop featuring his lord Ieyasu Tokugawa unharmed through the dangerous Iga pass) has grown to legendary status.

Fun thing though, Sarutobi Sasuke has given names to 3 chars in Naruto... I am expecting a badass named Hanzo to appear in the manga at any time now.

I was playing this game Final Fantasy Origins and on the later part of the show you can get a great sword called Sasuke.

When Kenshin, Samurai X, is getting a new sword it is similar on Uma Thurman, Kill Bil Vol 1, getting a new sword also.

Gets more ass than a toilet seat! Eurasian's Avatar

wow, all these names appeared in sdk. i read that lil historical thing from the sdk dvds (i actually spend money buying dvds) that the existence of sarutobi sasuke is not for sure. there might be someone like him...or something like that.

I tried my best...

i played suikoden 2 a couple of years ago.. hmm i dont remember these ninja stuff though.. i agree is more of a chinese thing.

Originally posted by: Eurasian
    wow, all these names appeared in sdk. i read that lil historical thing from the sdk dvds (i actually spend money buying dvds) that the existence of sarutobi sasuke is not for sure. there might be someone like him...or something like that.
    Sarutobi Sasuke did indeed exist, he was one of the men under Yukimura Sanada.
    Whatever crap that worthless show feeds you is false!

Gets more ass than a toilet seat! Eurasian's Avatar

Originally posted by: Terracosmo
    Originally posted by: Eurasian
    Sarutobi Sasuke did indeed exist, he was one of the men under Yukimura Sanada.
    Whatever crap that worthless show feeds you is false!
    THOSE STUPID HISTORICAL NOTES!!!! trying to confuse me.

I tried my best...

wo0t for history, gG @ spanks.
    Looks like Terracosmo has everything rapped up here.

Well they don't call me a history nerd for nothing ;D

Original suikoden the novel is chinese.. its one of the 4 classic fiction of Chinese Novels. Story is a historic fiction based off some historic events during the Sung Dynasty of China.

Despite their denial.. Japanese culture still is mainly based off chinese... so retelling and spin off this type of stories are quite common. Other examples... Journey to West, another one of the 4 classics... fantasy story involving the Monkey King... Son Goku... who can ride a cloud and have a staff that can change to anysize by his will. there are tons of anime , manga, video game that all somewhat based itself off this story or parts of it... other than the most well known.. dragonball series.