Just to let everyone know, and call for some feedback about it...

I've realized that there's not sufficient reason to fix the various (in many cases unexpectedly complicated) issues that the vb 3.5->3.8 migration caused.

Basically, vbulletin 3.x is a "dead" line. It's likely at its last non-security update. And while that'd be fine if I was looking for an update to just bugfix and settle on, I think it makes sense to change course a bit and go with the newer version.

See, the bugs caused by the last upgrade were the result of new features getting added, and our benighted default "gotwoot" theme not really coping with that too well. The person who originated the theme isn't doing that anymore, and the code style is a bit messy. Meanwhile, the possibility of updating further to vb4 means that any 3.x theme updates would be wasted when that happens, because of their entirely new template engine.

Right, so basically what I'm saying there is, you know all those bugs that I haven't made significant progress on lately? Yeah, don't count on me making significant progress on them.

Instead, I'm planning to do a full-on vbulletin 4 upgrade. This will entail building a new forum skin in the new template engine, and also rolling out a bunch of new functionality (much of which is in the current 3.x version, but not implemented in the default theme).

So here's where you come in. I've got some outstanding questions to ask you, the gotwoot reader at large. So I'm making a bunch of polls and feedback threads to roll up some of the outstanding stuff. Give me some feedback, now's your chance!