Muv-Luv Alternative

The central core to the Muv-Luv universe gets an adaptation of its own.

In 1973, the invasion of an extra terrestrial life form, the BETA, began a war that has driven mankind to the brink of extinction. In an attempt to counter the BETA's overwhelming strength in numbers, mankind has developed the humanoid weapons known as TSFs, deploying them on the front lines of their Anti-BETA War all across the globe. However, mankind still lost the majority of Eurasia to the superior numbers of the marching BETA. For nearly 30 years, mankind has remained bogged down in its struggle against the BETA with no hope in sight. (Description by CR)

-------------------

No surprise, like the previous adaptations before it, Schwarzesmarken and Total Eclipse, Muv-Luv Alternative begins with another group who isn't part of the main cast, and everything goes horribly.

Muv-Luv's Unlimited/Alternative shock factor is certainly diminished at this point, but it is worth remembering that the primary setting of Muv-Luv was one of the earlier novels to do this type of setting well, and it's also the one who has done it the best. I have no idea how deep they're going to go into the lore of the Muv-Luv setting, and I'm at least a little surprised they're going right to Alternative (considering the franchise is meant to be viewed with this one last). The main continuity is like 90 hours across two games, so we'll see how this goes (and no, I still haven't actually played them, but did recently buy them).

But the production values are high, the BETA are grotesque as always, using CG in a modest way to do it, and the voice acting was pretty good. The TSFs look great. I think most of the worry from the fanbase is about how this adaptation is gonna go. There's not be an announced length of this, so we'll find out.