280400.jpg

"One day, Mitsuha falls off a cliff and is transported to a medieval Europe–type world! After a near-death encounter with a pack of wolves, she then realizes that she's able to transport between two worlds—this one and her own. Taking advantage of this ability, Mitsuha decides to live in both worlds and calculates that she'll need 80,000 gold coins to be able to retire! Mitsuha now has to come up with different ways to collect her gold coins!

Source: Kodansha"

Genre(s): Isekai, Economics, Comedy

https://subsplease.org/shows/rougo-n...a-wo-tamemasu/

1-2

Credit where credit is due, this had some very through planning and strategic calculation by the protagonist. This is an isekai where the main character, Mitsuha, can come to and from the isekai world at will. Sounds straightforward, but she fears she may get stuck in one world and so decides to save up enough wealth in both worlds to be a proper retirement no matter which she ends up in. Pragmatic and neurotic, really. They actually inject a quick scene detailing how her last living family member is no longer, and how her finances won't hold up to college tuition before her first accidental/forced transfer. She then learns to control the ability and takes steps to procure wealth with her frankly unfair advantage of temporal travel.

What stood out to me here was the thoughtfulness given to some more mundane elements of the story. For example, she not only doesn't speak the language, but that isn't addressed until her second trip, and she simply has to make due with grunts, rib-splitting hugs, and smelly outhouses until her encounter with the cheat granting deity. Most series would have handwaved that or cast a quick incantation to give universal language, but Rougo bothered to make it an actual inconvenience for a while. She also has no combat powers to speak of, so she goes full concealed carry license with a no-questions asked Merc group in our world to prepare to defend herself. When I turned this on, I did not expect a competent, succinct explanation of gun safety to come pouring out of my screen. It was cute and her business plan seems solid so far, so I'll stick around to at least see how far that lead can take her.

I also like that the (late) brother is a wellspring of cringeworthy advice she takes at face value; that joke hasn't gotten old yet!