287098.jpg

"* Based on a yankee comedy romantic manga by Nakamura Yuuji.

Rokudou Tousuke is a loser, and everyone knows it. He gets picked on at school, gets snide looks from passersby, and can only muster up the courage to complain in secret with his equally hapless friends. Looking to turn his life around, he desperately uses an ancestral artifact passed down in his family for generations: a scroll that is capable of subduing all demons. However, in the modern age, it has a different effect: it makes all bad girls fall in love with him.

...And then, things go ballistic when he meets the delinquent beast-on-a-girl's-body Himawari Ranna, who hopelessly falls deep for him."

Genre(s): Shounen, Comedy, Action, Romance

It's no secret that I'm a fan of the manga this is based on. So far, the anime is just about as I expected it to be, and the adaptation is by-the-book. Thankfully they haven't made any major changes or compacted the story to get it to fit into X episodes.

The premise itself is pretty standard 'add water for harem' setup, the visual jokes are on point so far and, as in the manga, Rokudo's friends make the story so much more interesting. Colonel and Manager are the smart ones, and Rokudou would be a complete wet blanket without his friends. The fact that he's not completely isolated dispels the pretext of a persecution allegory and lets the audience engage with Rokudou on equal terms, not through a lens of outright pity.

Also, I thought this would take be a shoo-in for worst animation this season because it looks like a pretty cheap production, but Hometown Hero has that covered. While the character designs have been as streamlined as possible, the art in the original wasn't anything to write home about, so nothing was really lost.

In the end, this is a silly coming of age comedy about delinquents fighting each other in a school with no discernable rule of law outside of survival of the fittest. It feels like a throwback to the olden days of delinquent media. You mileage may vary, but I find this very enjoyable.