Thread: GotWoot Fansubs Banners & Other Art

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin
    But to an average anime watcher that knows nothing of Photoshop, they're not going to see all those things; they're looking at what picture pleases them the most with the best use of "Got___". Like Bill said, this wasn't a contest on technique. If it were, I'd have no doubt us three would be fighting for top right now, haha.
    While I agree more or less with that (since that's what I said before, after all), it's not like technique doesn't necessarily shine through as a good banner (it does). What I was trying to say before is that the appearance of a visually pleasing banner can also be made with a better quality raw that needed minimal touch-up in the first place.

In my mind, it's perfectly possible for (Good raw + less technique = okay raw + lots of touch-up), but you'll have to convince me really hard to make me believe that a (screencap + less technique + funny joke = good picture and/or good technique).

I was having to decide between a funny joke and a good picture when I was voting in that poll, and in the end I settled with the better picture. My reasoning is that the joke works in the short term, while the picture's aesthetic value remains persistent every time you see it.

edit: oh, and fuck all the late '90s kids who have no love for pokemon!

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    While I agree more or less with that (since that's what I said before, after all), it's not like technique doesn't necessarily shine through as a good banner (it does). What I was trying to say before is that the appearance of a visually pleasing banner can also be made with a better quality raw that needed minimal touch-up in the first place.

In my mind, it's perfectly possible for (Good raw + less technique = okay raw + lots of touch-up), but you'll have to convince me really hard to make me believe that a (screencap + less technique + funny joke = good picture and/or good technique).
    I believe you misunderstood my comment about technique, but I think you grasp the basic idea I had anyways. Regardless of skill or technique, most average voters are going to vote for whichever banner depicts their favorite series, or character, which is why I was saying they aren't going to pay attention to every tiny detail. To top that off, the use of "Got___" is also going to play a part, not because it's necessarily good, but because it's funny for it's intended purpose. This is why simple screencaps are doing so well. So my comment about technique not being evaluated wasn't to say it doesn't shine through as a good banner, just that within the target community, technique is only as good as what's popular.

At the other end of that debate though, I completely agree that good technique doesn't always = most work involved. There are plenty of banners on rotation that are probably just wallpaper crops with simple text applied that look amazing. Even a lot of sigs that are posted here are results of the same method. It's all about the quality of the source image.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.