Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Okay, Miklagard is apparently the viking name for Istanbul.
    Yeah, and capital of the Eastern Roman Empire at that time.

As for pacing, I felt it was fine. Gardar's story is as important as Arnheid's.

The surprising thing to me was that during Gardar's flashback, he'd already killed someone then. Arnheid's reactions prior to this flashback had me thinking that she'd never witnessed any violence from Gardar until now. Him looking like a bit like Einar probably had something to do with it.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Disappointed in Snake for letting his guard down. Almost died like his men.

I figure Thorfinn will be taken prisoner, but the boss'll free him when he gets back. Since Leif saved his life and all.

Nah, I expect Snake to force Thorfinn making some bs choice like "join me and become one of my men or else get killed". Then Thorfinn refuses. Snake will threaten to kill Arneid or his friend, and then before anything is really decided, the village is attacked by the king's forces and Thorfinn either helps fight back on his own, or he uses the commotion to escape together with his friend and maybe Arneid.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

"join me and become one of my men or else get killed"
    Thorfinn is the owner's slave. Snake doesn't get to take him - and protecting a runaway slave doesn't equate to killing 5 lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Thorfinn is the owner's slave. Snake doesn't get to take him - and protecting a runaway slave doesn't equate to killing 5 lives.
    wouldnt be Vinland Saga without some unfair bs decisions *shrugs*

^^

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

season 2 episode 18:

Ffs, these episodes feel like time traveling: Start episode. Credits start running. Time felt: 1 minute. Actual time passed: 20 minutes :/

Brutal. Utterly brutal.

None of Ketils' decisions were right, but you can see how he came to be.

The focus here was so much on Arnheid that we didn't actually get to see a Leif / Thorfinn initial reunion reaction. Not that I mind, this was more important. Props to Ketil's wife - she's just taken all of this in her stride.

Ironically Ketil is now highly unlikely to negotiate. First son is just happy to fight and second son looks like he might backstab them all at any point to save himself - and also everyone else by extension.

The focus here was so much on Arnheid that we didn't actually get to see a Leif / Thorfinn initial reunion reaction. Not that I mind, this was more important.
    I did! I minded it a LOT! No-selling that moment?! WTF!

S2E19

--------------------

Ah.. the kid died, and so will Arnheid it seems.

I'm satisfied with the reveal of how Iron Fist Ketil came about. I couldn't make sense of how he could have spread that rumour without any major feats. Turns out it was someone else. It'd be cool if we met the real one, but they might be dead already.

Thorgil continues to impress. He thinks about his fights way more than he appears to. Surprise attacks are also not beneath him. What's the most impressive for me is the way that he actually tries to support and nurture his brother while really having no true expectations of him. Thorgil wants his brother to succeed, but also doesn't give a shit when he fails.

UNfoirtunately, I think he also doesn't give a shit whether he himself succeeds or not. I cannot imagine he'll actually be able to kill Canute, which means he'll probably die. And he's probably gonna be all like "oh well, Valhalla, here I come" and not even lose his smile over dying.

Thorfinn fleeing is ... ugh.

Although I have to say: It looked like NONE of Canute's soldiers was killed in that clash, that's just ridiculous. At least some random arrows should have hit someone on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    UNfoirtunately, I think he also doesn't give a shit whether he himself succeeds or not. I cannot imagine he'll actually be able to kill Canute, which means he'll probably die. And he's probably gonna be all like "oh well, Valhalla, here I come" and not even lose his smile over dying.
    That's the attitude he should have. What ever happens happens, but do what you can in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Thorfinn fleeing is ... ugh.
    Admittedly boring, but that IS what his character would do now.

episode 20:

Overall episode good, but:

Either you have to present it better or have Canute die there. That was terrible. There was no logical, plausible way for Canute to survive this. But then they give him superhuman speed. Then his guard returns out of nowhere. And suddenly Thorgil no longer watches his surroundings.

Felt bad. Either present it better or let Canute die.

PS: "He's got only about 100 men with him, I should be fine"- we BERSERK now? lol

Either you have to present it better or have Canute die there. That was terrible. There was no logical, plausible way for Canute to survive this. But then they give him superhuman speed. Then his guard returns out of nowhere. And suddenly Thorgil no longer watches his surroundings.

Felt bad. Either present it better or let Canute die.
    Coulda at least wounded him. Have his overconfidence cost him a hand or an eye or something.

PS: "He's got only about 100 men with him, I should be fine"
    What's Mr. Pacifist planning to do? Bleed on 'em to death?

"It's only got 100. I've got this"

That flex xD.

That said, from what I've seen so far I'd say Snake/Thorfinn can beat most of the general Jomsviking. You'd need to bring out a named character to be comparable with them. Thorfinn was already a match for Thorkell back in the day.

While I do think that Canute drawing his sword was a good "growth moment" and shows that Thorgill didn't account for Canute's improvement, the fastest thing to do would have been to drop to the ground to avoid the blow. I'm not sure that that would have saved Canute in the long run though, since Thorgill would probably have been able to follow up on it anyway.

the fastest thing to do would have been to drop to the ground to avoid the blow.
    Completely disagree. A skilled swordsman can raise their sword faster than gravity can pull their whole body to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Completely disagree. A skilled swordsman can raise their sword faster than gravity can pull their whole body to the ground.
    Assuming you had your hand on the hilt.

To block you have to recognise a threat, register the trajectory of the attack (left vs right), grab your sword, draw and block. It requires lots of visual feedback and steps. I'm not sure Canute is ready for the title of skilled swordsman yet either. Maybe he is.

To drop, you just need to recognise the treat and lose your legs without actually thinking about the attack itself. You also don't need to drop to the ground completely to avoid it. The enemies arms are attached to their shoulders and has maximum range at shoulder height. The issue with dropping isn't the speed, but that it limits your next action and leaves you rather vulnerable.

You also don't need to drop to the ground completely to avoid it.
    Sure, but we call that ducking.

S2E21

-------------

Oh fuck off. No way that ep was 25mins long.

So short, indeed :/

Also, receiving 100 punches is bs. Wonder if he has an actual trick up his sleeve. Canute is a bitch, though.